What is going on today 2017?

My twenty five Temptation strawberries all made it and are they ever good!

2 Likes

I’ve bought a lot of plants from nourse. they are a top notch company!

2 Likes

Happy Solstice to all!

4 Likes

Took a couple of pictures out in the orchard today…Reliance peaches & Bluecrop blueberries.

13 Likes

Will you be thinning your peaches?

2 Likes

I’m in the process of doing that right now. I have a 5 gallon bucket so far! The picture is from a tree that I have not thinned yet. :wink:

2 Likes

OK, I was talking about my hybrid raspberry. I guess it must be beginner’s luck!?
It is translucent, looks a lot like Double Gold. Not exactly the same shade though, and it may darken more. The first berry, and this plant isn’t even 2 years old. The seed cane produced this fruit. i.e the cane that grew out of the seed. This never happens with raspberries, The raspberry is rather small, but again, this is the seed cane. let’s wait and see if size improves.
I wanted to call it Irene after my mother, but orange sherbet came to my mind when looking through the camera lens.

I’ll let it fully ripen, even rot to see ripe, and final color. I’m happy with this result, it’s great to have an idea, execute a method to get there, and get there with the first plant. That was easy! I originally had 5 plants from this cross, the other 4 died on me. This is an everbearing and will produce a primocane fall crop. This is a floricane crop. It has 3 or 4 primocanes now.

11 Likes

when you get a few runners send some to me so i can test it in zone 3 for hardiness. :wink: I’m jealous! good job!

3 Likes

The borage is full of bees today. I would say out of all my flowers that borage seems to attract the most bees…

4 Likes

Finished spraying the orchard and am now going continue to net. I’m exhausted!

3 Likes

Started picking the sour cherries today, in the rain :grin:

About 50lbs in and plenty to go

Montmorency on the tree…

Balatons…

Kind of nice picking cherries to the scent of elderberries in bloom

Its been a good day here!

14 Likes

ive given up trying to grow cherries. the voles love the roots and bark and i can’t keep the bugs off of them even with a vigorous spraying schedule. my elders are just starting to make flowers.

1 Like

Fabulous job!!! Looks so great!!! and no netting?

2 Likes

Surprisingly, no nets. I put about 800’ of bird-scare tape throughout the 20 cherry trees as soon as I saw some blueJays feeding on them. Haven’t seen a bird in them since. Have my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

2 Likes

I’m kicking myself for not stopping at a fruit stand in SW Michigan on the way back from Ann Arbor today. There was one right by I-94 near the Coloma exit. I did not see it until I was on the far side of the exit.

I saw a bunch of full-sized cherry trees along I-94 in that area. They were full of cherries. I assume they were tart cherries. I think I saw a peach orchard or two, as well.

1 Like

Getting slammed by heavy rain right now, prob in for some more flooding. The power briefly went out for about an hour. Thankfully, we were able to get cleaned up after working outside, and was able to heat up some beans before the power dropped.

But, it’s back on now, just can’t watch any satellite with this kind of rain. So, we’re watching the DVR.

1 Like

Beautiful cherries. How do you like the taste of Balaton? Is it less acidic than Monty when eaten out of hand? Is it at all sweet or flavorful?

2 Likes

Boy Bob, you seem to get more rain and thunderstorm’s than anyone on this board! When are you going to put in your rice paddy?:smirk:

3 Likes

This time of the year we are normally hoping it will rain. We have for the last 3-4 weeks been getting from 1-3" daily. We are also getting almost daily flood warning and tornado watches. Most likely in a couple of weeks I will be wishing it would rain. Weather might be what taught early people how to properly complain.

3 Likes

We’re into hope-for-rain mode now, after the wet spring. Watching the drought map

2 Likes