What is going on today 2017?

Looks good, how tall is it? Our tallest is about 4ft tall now, hopefully it won’t start tasseling too early like it did last year @ about 3ft, without producing anything.

1 Like

Four to five feet. I started them i think earlier than you did, weather was good. Only the five footers are flowering, about half, the others will start I’m sure soon. Many have suckers too. I never grew Illini Xtra Sweet Hybrid before. So many kinds out there. this was suggested by a friend. We will see…

1 Like

Very okra like but very bitter

1 Like

Drew do you hand pollinate the corn? Corn needs a good size block to get good pollination otherwise.

1 Like

No, I was thinking of using the container corn for that reason, but last time I grew corn like this it was big enough. I never grew this corn, we will see! 4 rows each 12 feet long. I estimate about 35 fruits. I had as high as 65 before, but I had a touch more room.

Backyard corn culture

6 Likes

5" + of rain in the last 5 hrs, we needed rain but not like that.

2 Likes

Hah, using every available inch of yer yard, I see, right up against the fence. What does your neighbors think of your backyard horticultural preserve?

Guess you don’t have to worry too much about mowing!

1 Like

LOL! I did ask, he said “hey. it’s your yard” His wife thinks it’s great. I give them stuff for sure. They told me last time I grew corn, 3 years ago, it was the best they ever had. I will be giving them more, and they were probably excited to see it.

It’s easier for sure, but like mowing in a maze! I have to do a ton of trim work, which sucks. I just did it today! The front tomorrow. And my cottage next weekend, I’m cursed with mowing and both places, just a push mower.

This is my backyard at my cottage, it kills me to do it. I have a bad back from a head-on crash. I have to take at least two breaks to do it. Hopefully soon I can get a lawn tractor. Too many other expenses and debt currently.

No complaints, I’m lucky to have this place. Russell Island is beautiful.

In front of my place. On the right is cornus mas trees, they produce fruit. One of the few things that grow in the shade of the oaks and maples.

Swimming with the freighters

6 Likes

Wow, we had a lot last week, not that much though! Keep it over there!

Excellent I love it!

My driveway (all photos 5-21-17)

This is the east side (a raspberry patch, where my own cultivar is). To the right in the grass is 4 elderberry trees. I also have three plum trees in the front.

My backyard

I could keep going, far from everything! My back is killing me, i can’t sleep. I have to go to the cottage in the afternoon, working on the sub floor in the bed rooms…the torture never stops…
I’m trying my red currant infused vodka, wow! Excellent! Now maybe I can sleep,
Oh I like the plastic bottle easy to work with! The vodka is Tito’s handmade…

I left the currants in a week, used a jelly bag to filter. About 2 cups of currants. It’s missing a couple inches not sure what happened?:rolling_eyes: :slight_smile:
@BobVance
Hey I know you are pressed what to do with the reds, this is good stuff, not overwhelming, very tasty, Wonder what blacks would taste like? Nevermind if vodka is not on your diet list. For me it’s for medicinal purposes only! (really, I try to avoid other pain killers)
I saw a recipe with sugar, blacks, a bunch of lemon zest, black currant nectar, age for 6 months! And just drink, no filtering. Remove all of stems.

8 Likes

Oddly enough, you are right. My wife and I just discussed this last night. There was a study done that I read about a long time ago, and they discovered that people respond the best to an honor system with a reasonable restriction and worst to a system with restrictions they consider unreasonable. Systems with no restrictions were vulnerable to individual bad actors. In short, by putting no price on it, people don’t feel obligated to obey the request. Try a sign that says, HONOR SYSTEM : FIRST MELON FREE, EXTRA MELONS $5, and put a box there next to a melon painted with eyes and a smile.
I bet it’s worth the effort.

As for me, my neighbors took the biggest peppers and the rest ended up compost, so at least I helped someone out.

3 Likes

I guess the Venus grapes are ready! Looks like I’ll be picking tonight.

https://youtu.be/2-KVyCxbq1o

7 Likes

Those grapes are gorgeous. I once removed a bee hive from a guys back yard and his neighbor had a peach tree with ripe peaches. The honey smelled like peaches and was great.

5 Likes

Most of my Methley plums are split. Is that a common problem? Other plums are OK.

1 Like

Methley may be riper than the other varieties now? It’s a very early plum

1 Like

Santa Rosa are riper right now and they have not split. Unfortunately Santa Rosa has more PC damage than Methley so I’m loosing plums on both.

1 Like

Having the opposite problem from splitting - too dry. Now that most of the stone fruit is harvested, I’m starting to water the trees.

1 Like

The black currant is lovely, my mom used to do it all the time. Now she does sour cherry. She pits them, adds her vodka ( or white rum which makes a smoother sip’n drink ) adds some sugar and lets them sit for a few months. Then, if it is not sweet enough she adds some sugar syrup ( sugar dissolved in a little water and heated on the stove a bit).

1 Like

My unknown big box store nectarines are starting to ripen.

12 Likes

That sounds excellent! I’ll be trying it in the future. Does she use tart cherries? I grow both sweet and tart.

She uses the Evans cherry.

But beware when disposing of the fruit. I threw mine on the compost pile, my little beagle ate some, bayed aimlessly all night long at nothing, slept thru the next day and woke up with an awful thirst, (and I am sure a bit of a hangover) .:slight_smile:

2 Likes