What is your absolute favorite fruit?

Hi! I’m wanting to try my hand at another type of fruit but not certain what to try. I’d love to see your comments on your all time favorite fruit. What type, variety and why?

for example, on a thread about figs, someone here mentioned that his favorite fruit was some type of nectarine, I think. So, any fruit is welcome here.

Thanks for helping me continue with my gardening obsession. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spice Zee Nectaplum

It changes all the time. The fruit I’m craving now are rambutan. I really love strawberries, blueberries, and sweet cherries as long as they are the good ones. The biggest problem I have with naming my favorite fruit is when someone does not raise a fruit right there is nothing worse. I’ve had Fuji apples before that were wonderful and I’ve had ones that were awful. Maybe you should ask who is our favorite fruit grower rather than our favorite fruit. Açaí can be really good but when it’s not it’s awful.

4 Likes

Wild black cap raspberries. They are small and thorny, and a huge pain to pick, but IMO the flavor is out of this world. Nothing else comes close.

2 Likes

When you said you want to try, do you mean to eat or to plant?

If you want to plant, you may want to pay more attention to comments from people who grow the fruit that do well in an area similar to your growing condition. It has been discussed several times that same fruit in different conditions, may yield very different results.

1 Like

Yeah. I understand that for sure. I’m just curious and if someone’s favorite happens to grow well in my area, that’s a bonus. And I’m definitely talking about growing it myself and not just tasting the fruit.
Thanks for clarifying

I just looked up some info and comments about this one. That sounds amazing!

Bing cherries at 25-32 brix. Honey Royale nectarine or any of the honey series nectarines above 24 brix. Both of my favorites are very hard to grow. I think high brix nectarines are hard to beat for those with the right growing conditions. You can find some that will do well in Goleta. However that area is a bit short on heat in summer and a lot short on chilling in winter so YMMV

1 Like

My favorites to eat are mamay sapote, and persimmon. My favorites to grow and eat are my world’s best mulberries and bananas.

I would recommend adding some modern Fejoa cultivars to your orchard. They have a very unique flavor and once established, the plants don’t require any care.

1 Like

Bing cherries. Or other dark sweet firm cherries. However I’ve come to realize they don’t grow well across a large part of the US. Including where I am.

1 Like

I would try the various Zaiger nectarine series and see what like. For low acid any of the Honey series. for a good balance Arctic Jay, for heavy acid with sugar Arctic Glo. My Glo’s are ripe right now, harvesting later today. Probably my favorite growing up in the low brix Midwest I developed a taste for tartness and anything with some sugar taste sweet to me. The Glo’s are coming in about about 18-20 brix. Hard to get more, a few are higher, but very few. I will test again later today as I have only tested a few early ripeners. These are plenty sweet enough for me.

2 Likes

Usually, my favorite fruit is the one in season. That being said, my absolute favourite fruit would be Kent mangoes. But… my favorite fruits that grow in my zone are watermelons and grapes (Concorde and Somerset).

Ya, I get kinda sick of my buddy telling me about his absolute favorite fruit mangoes. Way better than anything I grow. Only he hasn’t had one in 25 yrs. The last time he was in India. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I give him my crappy fruit every time he comes by.

4 Likes

LOL Seriously. What people remember from a long ago vacation when they tried some fruit for the first time, associated with lots of great memories will always trump what is right in front of them.
I wish I could stop by your place and try some of your “crappy” fruit. :-):joy:

2 Likes

I made syrup or coulis of various black currants and must say it is a very unique flavor. Amazing how the strong musky flavor turns into an amazing rich flavor when cooked. Never had fruit transform like that before. As of today this is my new favorite fruit.

1 Like

I think most important is to spread your harvest out. In SoCal you can get fresh fruit year round. So what months aren’t you getting anything? Look for something that ripens then. Citrus in winter, pomegranates & feijoa in fall, loquat early spring, that was for me when I lived in NorCal. You have even more options down there.

If you have a place for a vine grow passionfruit (edulis) great tropical taste but very sweet tart not all people like that.

Not for me here. Birds and pest of all kinds become to numerous to manage after mid July. It also means many additional sprays .I’m now only selecting varieties that ripen in this early time window.

1 Like

I just tried an Aprium for the first time and it was fantastic. From just looking at it, I would have thought it was a pluot as it was darker than an apricot, but that is what the store had it labeled as. In any case, I liked it a lot better than a pluot.

That sounds lovely!

1 Like