What peppers are you planning to grow in 2017?

OK so someone suggested growing Trinidad Perfume as a nice seasoning pepper w/o the heat. So got seeds, grew 'em and here is where we are. So the question is: at what color/size are they best picked? Anyone else growing these? I’d love to hear your experiences.

4 Likes

I grew them, I think they are yellow, pick when ripe. Perfume is a good name! I would like to try others, they were OK, not great. I stuffed them with flavored cream cheeses. Really different from any other pepper, and yeah no heat at all. Well I picked mine when fully yellow, I didn’t try them at the stage they are now. So it’s on you to try one now!

1 Like

I have a couple Tobago Scotch Bonnet plants in the garden, but they are the sweet version. Our peppers got a real growth spurt over the last week, but some look pretty pale. Our two Ancho Mulato are almost two foot tall now.

A lot of my peppers have small fruit on them. Would it be a good time to fertilize them now?

1 Like

No heat at all? Let me know if they have a nice flavor w/o the heat.

2 Likes

Sure, I have so many plants, I usually have a schedule, I fertilize them once a month, sometimes every two weeks if I’m not happy with growth. Tomatoes seem to grow no matter what, so I go light on them. Peppers get the goodies. I’m a fan of feeding plants. Although I grow in containers with soiless mixes, and the soil has very few nutrients, just one part compost, and that’s not enough. Even my raised beds need food, i start with garden soil but replenish with old spent, lost it’s structure, potting soil and compost. So not much better than the containers.

2 Likes

Yes, it is good time to fertilize, the larger they get the more fruits they set later.

3 Likes

Nothing special but my picking from Sunday.

This weekend is salsa time… for canning.

Katy

8 Likes

OK, thanks for all the replies. I have some liquid fert that I used on the plants when I had them in cups. It really gave them a boost. I’m just wondering how much to pour on each plant. Suppose I’ll check the label, duh.

@JustAnne4, yes they’re supposed to be the mild version, I got them from @thepodpiper. I understand the regular version is smokin’ hot. For hot peppers, I have some Habanero, Jalapeño, and from the pod, Padron and Bulgarian Carrot.

@k8tpayaso, those look nice , what are we seeing here? I see jalapeño, and maybe some pepperoncini?

That’s what we’re hoping for with all the peppers, tomatoes, onions- lots of salsa. We finished off our last jar of salsa recently.

2 Likes

I have Grenada Seasoning Pepper, but never grew it out.
Grenada Seasoning Pepper - (Capsicum chinense) A flavorful and aromatic
pepper from the Caribbean, related to the habanero’s, but with only mild
heat. Fruits grow up to 1 1/2 x 2" and ripen to a yellow, slightly golden
color. Popular for seasoning, excellent flavor with very mild heat
Purchased from Trade Winds Fruit

I love salsa, but I only make a fresh version, I never liked it canned. So once I have everything, I’ll make it weekly, my friends say it’s the best they ever had. I mix in some dried pepper powder of jalapeno, garlic, and dried green chili pepper (also all from my garden), it so awesome! I also love fresh tomatillo salsa too, probably my favorite.I rarely grow it though.

3 Likes

Jalapeño, Banana, Anaheim, Poblano, Quadrato d’asti rosso, and buried in the heap is California Wonder and Serrano. A few of all of them will go in my salsa The smell from that bag was delicious.

Katy

1 Like

Our canned salsa always tasted fresh when opened. We did 13 pints last year, it was good, but seemed to be a bit tame, heat wise, even tho we put lots of Jalapeño’s in it. I remember we did a batch of 7 pints, and it seemed mild, so I said put in more hot peppers in the next 6 pints, and it was medium hot. Hope to add some Habs and Serrano’s in this year’s recipe, plus some garlic that we’re growing.

Do you do a low salt version with your recipes? I don’t think we put a lot in ours, and it still tasted pretty good. A lot of store varieties can have lots of salt in them.

3 Likes

I’m growing all of those, except Anaheim and Poblano. I actually sowed some Anaheim seeds, but none came up. That happened with some other pepper seeds, as well, especially the hotter ones. I imagine I didn’t give them enough time and or heat to succeed. Next year I’ll give them their own heat mat and planter box.

Did you grow these from seed?

1 Like

@Derby42, how are your hot peppers doing?

1 Like

That’s cool. I was not happy with mine when I tried. A couple different ways too.
I like to make it mild and add powdered peppers, you know my own cayenne, although I use other peppers, that way you could adjust heat according to user. Some guests like it mild etc. Plus I have ton’s of powdered hot peppers.
I’m growing a red and an orange scotch bonnet this year and a white ghost pepper.
I was going to grow more, but lost the plants I lost 3 pepper plants this season
I like the scotch peppers as they are prolific as are some other hots.My plants have 20 or so flowers and a few peppers now.[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:91, topic:8524”]
Do you do a low salt version with your recipes?
[/quote]

Yes, you’re right about the store varieties, glad the season is here as we have been buying a few and we usually just don’t eat salsa otherwise., but we have been craving it this year for whatever reason.
I find some hots hold their heat and others do not, the habs, and scotch do! I guess each species has capsaicin, but the molecule varies by pepper type. One bad thing if too hot, hard to fix!
I try to keep milds and hots apart because if a bee cross pollinates the the seeds in mild peppers can be hot! One can just remove the seeds though. When I grow green chili’s I use the seeds, so those need to be isolated. They have some heat themselves, it varies on variety.

1 Like

Yes, and I use a heat mat for all peppers to get them to germinate.

1 Like

They are doing good , the Trinidad scorpion has three nice peppers on it but I want them to turn red , lots of yellow cayenne and balloon peppers . The rocoto de seda has blooms but no peppers yet. The plants look good and healthy

1 Like

I made pictures of my best peppers this year. The other varieties may catch on them later.
This is Numex Sunset. In this green stage the peppers are not hot, the seeds are slightly hot.

The next is Sweet orange pepper Mandarin. I was surprised how tightly it was packed with peppers.

4 Likes

That looks awesome, I’m going to have to try that one! I’m growing an orange this year too, Etiuda. I’m not having a good pepper year I lost three, they all got set back when hit with a frost. I messed up! Some though are coming through anyway.
Etiuda got hit by the frost, so it’s still a little plant, producing a couple. Big Jim Legacy looks awesome, and my scotch bonnet’s have 30 or so flowers on each plant.
Orange Scotch Bonnet (looking more habanero!)

2 Likes

My favorite hot by far has been aci sivri, an ancient pepper from Turkey that is a Cayenne type. They aren’t too hot, especially if you remove the seeds and they have a great flavor. They are super productive. I use them at part red or full red and they are usually around seven or eight inches long, sometimes up to ten. Here is one of mine today.

Speaking of the seasoning types, last year I grew Tobago Seasoning, which was hotter than I expected for a “seasoning” pepper. Flavor was okay, but the plant was really pretty with 75+ of the little lantern peppers hanging down. With six plants I was way overwhelmed and wound up giving 8 pounds of them to the food bank. This year I just planted 2 of those and 4 aci sivri, plus a couple jalapenos for salsa, etc.

6 Likes

Making salsa today. I wonder if caning it reduces the heat? Not much heat in mine anyhow. Just curious. I love complex flavors but for me the heat trumps everything else you add so what’s the point. :blush: I’m adding peaches to mine. Not done that before :blush:

3 Likes