What tomatoes will you grow in 2018?

I had an overall terrific harvest this year in spite of the mistakes I made of growing mine too close together. I harvested 30 tomatoes yesterday and there are still many more but blight has started to set in and they are looking pretty terrible. We made freezer sauce for the first time.

Of the 9 varieties I grew this year There area few I will definitively replant next year and some that I won’t. The keepers for me were Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, and Big Rainbow. I also really liked the rainbow oxheart that mistakenly grew from a big rainbow seed. I’m going to save some of those seeds. Tomatoes that will not get a second chance for me next year are Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Chocolate cherry, Gardeners delight, and Mr. Stripey. The darker tomatoes were the worst splitters for me this year. Stripey was very similar to Rainbow but less productive. Cherokee was my lest productive tomato. And the cherry toms just aren’t that interesting. Next year I will likely try one or two of the popular hybrids to get first hand experience of their productiveness, disease resistance, and taste versus the heirlooms I grew this year.

1 Like

I still have about 16 varieties out of 70 grown that have not yet had seed collected. Some exceptional tomatoes this year include Calvin’s Green, Dr. Wyche (better than normal flavor), Omar’s Lebanese, Bear Creek (this year’s best black), Heidi (fantastic production for a paste tomato), and Orange Minsk (best orange).

Someone mentioned Pork Chop above. IIRC, it is from Brad Gates. He tends to select for visual appeal which is not always accompanied by production or flavor. I grew it several years ago and was not impressed. Your mileage may vary.

1 Like

My Black Krim didn’t do too well for me earlier this summer, but that was more my fault. Not being very familiar with the variety, I wasn’t sure when it ripened and they ended up getting soft and mushy on the vine. Didn’t help that I was on travel for work for a week and then out for a weeks vacation. A bunch also ended up getting sun burned. However it’s gotten it’s second wind and started to produce another crop, so I’m hoping to do better this time. There’s more foliage protecting the fruit, so sunburn shouldn’t be an issue this time around.

1 Like

I planted my first Black Krim this year. I added it about two weeks after the others. It’s been deceptively productive (21 so far, and quite a few still on) but those absent cracks are few and far between. I bring them in the house and they begin to rot or mold pretty quick. The taste wasn’t knock-your-socks off for us, and my wife is not wanting to deal with it again. I think if she’s told me “don’t plant that next year” one time, she’s told me that ten times!

The San Marzano have been virtually flawless, and have produced mountains of fruit.

Big Beef has given us 64 tomatoes… so far. It’s a darn nice tomato for us. Uniformly globe shaped every single time, but far from consistent size-wise. Some are very big like softballs, some are more like tennis balls or smaller, and everything in between. But we like this one.

The Early Girl wasn’t any earlier than Big Beef, and I’d not bothered to record the take from her but it has been MASSIVE. It’s for sure not going to be a taste-test winner compared to Brandywine or NAR, etc., but still nice to have a tomato machine that churns out better than store bought toms.

3 Likes

I tried Black Krim for the first time this year and was not impressed. They tended to crack and spoil. Early Girl was terrific, heavy yield, flawless fruits, even those lying on the ground.

2 Likes

My wife picked a couple of ripe red Brandywine toms from the plants in another patch this evening. They were excellent, very meaty, tart and sweet, the best of all our big varieties. This is what I’ve imagined a good BW should taste like. For a BW, our plants are pretty productive, unlike previous BW we’ve grown. It may be the patch, it has a better nutrient profile than than the main patch, which will need some more amending for next year.

You guys have almost convinced me to try Early Girl next year, sounds like a good dependable hybrid. Also may try Celebrity again, I recall it being pretty good as well.

Yeah I don’t imagine I’ll ever not have one going forward. Like Northwoods said, flawless toms and just seemed like every 2-3 days I was taking 8-10 toms off her. Unreal.

I think I want to try GGWT next year, since it seems as though everyone likes it.

1 Like

For me Early Girl wasn’t much earlier than others and stopped producing early. I grew it for several years. For an early determinant type I grew Front Runner this year that has tomatoes up to 16 oz in large clusters. Stems had to be supported due to the heavy load.

1 Like

Early Girl never produced heavy for me. Perhaps they weren’t getting enough sun light. None of my tomatoes get all day sun. Some produce well under those conditions and others don’t.

Early Girl is more appreciated on the west coast than here in the southeast and with good reason. It goes down to foliage disease relatively fast compared to most other varieties. The Southeastern climate is much more humid which changes the paradigm for growing tomatoes.

For a hybrid, Big Beef is very hard to beat. For an open pollinated tomato, I would grow Eva Purple Ball, Lynnwood, Muleteam, Box Car Willie, or Druzba. BBXEPB may be a bit harder to find, but it is a stabilized line from a cross of Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball. It is phenomenally productivve. If you want to can tomatoes, try Picardy. For paste or sauce, give Heidi a try.

3 Likes

I’ve been fortunate this year as I’ve had very little disease issues at all. Even at this late state in the garden season, when things are kinda winding down some I’ve had to remove and discard very few leaves/stems on really any variety I have planted. And we’ve had humid-rainy-hot-cool, you name it kinda weather this season. (Including about a 10’ rain event a week ago)

I sprayed Chlorothalonil only twice early on, but first branches are mostly about a foot and a half off the ground. IDK why this year things were so clean though. I’ve been diligent about keeping the weeds in check and this year I used pine bark mulch under them. Heck I’ve only had 3-4 horn worms this year.

Just came in with three pretty nice (crackless) Black Krim, one over a pound.

But all three pretty nice specimens.

I planted a Jet Star in at my daughters place and have been wanting to taste it for awhile now. It’s produced a ton of toms for her and I was in there today (working on her washing machine that won’t work now after sitting in 12" of flood water…) and I snagged one to let ripen on my counter. But if it’s any good it’s sure been a care-free plant at her place.

3 Likes

We have only grown one variety of black tomato (black brandywine), we live in North Carolina, and we have discovered that if we pick them green yet swollen enough none of them go bad or crack and they still taste incredible, rich and strong flavored, if you let them sit around ripening inside long enough. Yet still low production.

green pear was a good one for me this year, pleasant green flavor mostly yellow fruit, excellent bitten in half then filled with hotsauce :slight_smile:

1 Like

No not at all. I only get about 1 email a month from them. I get slammed hardest by Henry Fields and Starks.

The first email you listed is legit. That’s the same email address that sent me my order confirmation email this spring. I don’t recognize the second email address.

Many such businesses use 3rd party tracking and advertising, often with multiple URL’s. My rule of thumb is that any business that sends me more than one email a month is spam so I call that business and ask them to remove me from their mailing list. This does not work with spammers who are not legitimate businesses in the first place.

Please, back to discussing tomatoes. I had the best crop of tomatoes this year since 2015. Most of it can be attributed to a good electric fence that kept the deer out.

The year is mostly over, although I have a few more tomatoes that are left to come in. This was my first time trying some grafted tomatoes and I’ll definitely be doing it again.

It is a little hard to evaluate the tomatoes this year for a couple of reasons. The first is that we’ve had so much more rain than usual, so that has probably watered down the taste a bit and has also lead to a lot more cracking and I think lower fruit set as well. The second is most of my tomatoes are in a community garden and I’ve had an outrageous amount of theft this year. Someone has basically come through and picked anything starting to show the slightest color at least 4 times this year, resulting in me only getting a few fruit to sample from some of my plants. It is one thing if someone needs them for their family and steals one or 2, but they were literally taking 10-20 pounds of tomatoes each time. It is clearly someone who knows gardening and tomatoes since they take my heirlooms but leave the neighboring hybrids and Roma tomatoes alone.

I grow all my tomatoes as a single stem (Sometimes allowing an additional branch at around 6 feet), which also makes them more visible to people passing by. Growing this way means more plants so a better chance of some surviving in bad blight/fungus years, especially with the better airflow, but I may have to reconsider this if it means the tomatoes are too visible for people to leave alone.

Anyway…

Sungold (own root): Reliable and delicious little gems. The only hybrid I’m growing and I expect it will always make the grow list. Will grow in 2019.

Black Cherry (own root): The other cherry that I’ll probably always grow. A great counterpoint in size/color/taste to Sungold and for a heirloom it does pretty well against disease. Will grow in 2019.

Lucky Tiger (own root): This is a fun little tomato with occasionally delicious taste. They were better last year with less rain, plus it is sometimes hard to gauge ripeness since they are primarily a green striped tomato. They’re long, like a pointy little plum tomato, and a bit too big to be a cherry (they are 2 biters, at least to me). While I enjoy them and have kept some seed, I probably will use the space for something else and just grow the Sungold and Black Cherry for small tomatoes.

Chadwick Cherry (own root): A largish red cherry, that is full flavored and less sweet than most reds. I enjoyed these a lot last year, but this year the rain has left them a lot less flavorful and for some reason has really effected their productivity. They just didn’t set as much fruit as I’d expect a cherry to and these had in previous years. I don’t like the super sweet reds and this had been a nice compromise to still give me another color to with the yellow and black, but I think I’ll skip these for at least a year.

Black from Tula (own root, on maxifort and on RST-04-106-T): A great tomato, although my largest was about the size of a good Druzba and I had been expecting closer to beefsteak size. These were very productive and produced about the same regardless of the root type, although the one on its own roots seemed more effected by disease. I had a lot of cracking, but we’ve had crazy amounts of rain and most everything cracked at least a little. I’ll grow these again, but am open to suggestions for a good black tomato that would be larger in size but similarly hearty in our hot humid area (just outside DC) and productive. Will grow in 2019, probably on maxifort.

Green Cherokee (own root, on maxifort and on RST-04-106-T): I received these as a bonus from Tomato Growers when I ordered my 106 rootstock from them so I decided to give them a try. Another great tomato that is very pretty when sliced with a golden yellow skin on the outside and dark jade green inside. Very tasty and a nice variation to the flavor profiles of the others I’m growing - full flavored, sweet, but fairly low acid. It seemed to produce the best on 106 and while all 3 plants are still alive, the one on its own root is ailing. Will grow in 2019, probably on 106.

Druzba (own root only): I enjoy these quite a lot, but unfortunately it died from some type of disease fairly early in the season. With all the theft I only got one tomato from this plant. Won’t grow next year.

Fish Lake Oxheart (own root only): Having read several people claiming these were the best red/pink oxhearts I started growing these several years back and think they are great, although I never did a big comparison with others of this type. In taste, it is more like my Opalka plants than a beefsteak. Really meaty, with not much gel/seeds, but not dry like some pastes. They tend to be the first large tomato to ripen for me and go until fall. LIke all of my tomatoes this was hit hard with theft, but the earliness and ripending seemed to make it a top target and out of the 20 or so tomatoes it set, which is pretty good for a single stem plant, I’ve only gotten 2 to eat so far. I’m hoping I get the 3 remaining. Will grow in 2019, probably trying it on maxifort and 106 instead of its own root. Here’s one:

Opalka (own root, on maxifort and on RST-04-106-T): Always delicious in paste sort of way (like a great tomato sauce my daughter says) and sometimes growing to really huge size for a paste. I hoped growing these on different rootstocks might reduce the BER issues I’ve had with this variety, but I still get a fairly high percentage that are effected. I complain about it every year and then really enjoy the flavor and grow them again anyway. I’ll probably grow it in 2019 on maxifort, which was the most productive although it makes Opalka a pretty vigorous beast of a plant.

Stump of the World (own root and RST-04-106-T): Like all of my tomatoes, these went in the ground later than usual and my graft to maxifort failed, which is too bad since all of my Stump plants were on the lower end of vigor. All my larger ones were stolen, but the few I tasted are as good and rich as they have been in past years. Many say this is their favorite for taste and I agree, although it is in a tie with the Striped Mystery Beast (see below). Will grow in 2019, trying it on both maxifort and 106.

Striped Mystery Beast (own root, on maxifort and on RST-04-106-T): This looks a lot like Solar Flare, but is actually a chance seedling from Prudens Purple. It also turns more red with less pronounced striping when really ripe and it continues to be about 75% regular leaf and 25% potato leaf among the seedlings every year, even though I’ve been selecting regular leaf for the seed saving. I should try saving seed from a potato leaf type to see what happens. Either way, fruit appears totally stable, looking and tasting the same every year. It is tied for best flavor with Stump, but is very different. Where Stump is amazingly rich, closer to sweet, this one has a great rich flavor much more acid zing. In fact, slices of this, Stump and Green Cherokee on a plate with some basil and olive oil is pure tomato heaven as you go from one bite to the next tasting the variety of great flavors. Very vigorous and was actually too vigorous on maxifort where it quickly became the biggest plant in the plot, but didn’t set much fruit for its size. Will grow in 2019, probably on 106. Here’s an average sized one:

And here are a couple more I picked to ripen on the counter before they could be stolen:

4 Likes

Wow, fantastic!

Most likely hackers hacked them, and are mailing people on their mailing list.

Hi There,
If you would like to discuss excessive marketing or anything that is not tomatoes, please create a new thread. A stray here and there is OK but it should not be carried on. Thank you.

1 Like