What variety muscadine is your first to ripen 2018

Lane is my earliest to start ripening. If your looking for a crunchy somewhat grape like muscadine give it a try. My others are Black Beauty, Supreme, and Southern Home. Edit correction to date in photo. Should be 20180722.

2 Likes

I have a second year Lane starting to ripen. In fact I’ve eaten 3-4 of them trying to decide if they were ripe. Color was good and they were sweet but crunchy. So, they stay crunchy? I thought they were very good! Just wondered where they needed to be for picking. I usually give them a little squeeze and you can feel it give when they are ripe but not so much in these.

Katy

3 Likes

Those look like they would be really good. I struggle deciding when they are at their peak for taste. I do as you do and squeeze. If they give a little I assume they will be good. Pretty obvious that your ripening is about 1-2 weeks ahead of me.

1 Like

I think Lane stays crunchier than most other varieties. Supreme and Black Beauty is listed as varieties that the skin is eatable but they seem a to be less crunchy to me. Lane is good tasting and early but my favorite remains Black Beauty.

1 Like

I have a problem of having some mislabeled vines—those being my Cowart and Black Beauty. What I think is really a Black Beauty may not be but it’s one with a good taste. It actually has some Concord undertones but it is a smaller grape so it may not be Black Beauty. One of the four is a larger grape and it’s good too but tastes entirely different. I won’t buy any more from Walmart!!

Katy

1 Like

This is not a conclusive observation but Black Beauty achieves a really good taste when almost completely black whereas Supreme needs to be completely black to get its peak flavor. I think the size varies somewhat by growing conditions but Lane is supposed to be 1.25", Black Beauty near 1.5, and Supreme 1.5. My vines have not produced the larger sizes yet but they taste excellent.

1 Like

Mine are nowhere near those sizes but they are still young…

Katy

1 Like

@Auburn here are pics of my Supreme. Not quite ready but looking good. My grapes are not as large as they were last year…very dry and hot year.
The Lane is going to be one of my favs. My all time favorite though is Triumph (ripening now)

Supreme

Lane

Triumph

Katy

3 Likes