What's Growing in Your Veggie Garden? Got pics?

I bought the star shape too!!!

I may have some stars tomorrow :smile:

When you do show the star shapes, I won’t ask if they were a coincidence. :wink:

Today I started getting some flats of seeds planted for my fall/winter garden. I’m probably a little late getting them started, but it’s awfully hard to get motivated when it’s over 100 degrees. Now that the temps have dropped and will be in the low 90’s for awhile, it’s a little easier to believe that better weather for both working outdoors and plant survival will return.

I planted seeds for a mesclun mix and summer crisp lettuces. Then I started on the brassicas - Calabrese broccoli, dwarf Scottish kale, rainbow chard, and Brussel sprouts. I still need to start some collards, and maybe start some cauliflower to experiment with growing it over the cold months. I’ll also start some red Romaine and buttercrunch lettuces later. All of these are being kept in flats in the house near the kitchen air conditioner because the temps outside are still too hot for them to germinate and grow well, and because any that did manage to sprout would be quickly devoured by insects delighted to find tender new growth this time of year. Lettuce, in particular, sprouts better under 75 degrees.

As much as I don’t like seeing the summer veggie season eventually end, I do look forward to having fresh greens again. Those are what I miss most during the hot weather. Store bought dark greens are tough and bitter compared to those fresh picked at home. I won’t even buy them anymore because there is so much difference. I do wind up buying Romaine lettuce for salads, and some frozen spinach in the summer, but that’s it. I’ve said it before - I do get a bit envious of those in cooler climates who can grow everything for salads in the same season.

Here’s hoping that I can get everything I hope to established well enough in time to be able to have fresh greens throughout the fall and winter. When they don’t get enough growth in time, we have to wait until February or later before they are large enough to start harvesting.

2 Likes

Yumm! Zucchini Frittata! My favorite zucchini recipe. Reminds me of growing up. 4th generation recipe at least, with my easy twist (my girls all make it, now.)

Since we’re showing pics of how we’re cooking our veggies (and yes, for me corn and potatoes count as a veggies :slight_smile: ) I figured I’d show tonight’s dinner: 5 kinds of potato cooked in butter. Don’t worry- I had a balanced meal, adding a few kinds of peaches and plums (just picked the last Satsuma and the first Laroda).

Unlike when I’ve been roasting in foil on the grill, Magic Molly didn’t win this one. All Blue was the best. Embarrassingly, the Stop and Shop organic golds were right up there. Laratte finished last, but only because they dried out and crisped up too much when cooked this way, possibly due to their small size. Magic Molly and S&S stayed the moistest.

Prep:

Cook:

Eat:

3 Likes

Who says that’s not a balanced meal? You had at least 3 different colors of vegetable (potato) and dairy (butter). You also had a grain (corn). That sounds balanced to me. :smile:

I enjoy potatoes sliced with slices of onion inserted between every few slices, dotted with butter, baked and browned under the broiler, or prepared that way and wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill.

It all looks scrumptious, Bob.

No, I didn’t actually have any corn- I just mentioned it as the only other veggie I eat (I know, I should eat something green someday). But, I suppose you could add a seasoning food-group for the sea salt I added :smile:

That and the actual fruit that went with it:

Is that an Apple, and if so what one? Looks delightfully crabby.

I love my greens also, and I try to keep some kale and swiss chard going in my unheated Gh until a heavy freeze takes them out, which could be in late October or early November. Kale is more cold tolerant, and I had some going in GH until December last year.
PS. , the rainbow chard is absolutely tasty and beautiful too boot! I have some growing out in my garden and GH.

Ginny

Oh my goodness, that plate of potatoes look so good!! I have at least a month before I dig mine up. I could go steal a few out from under a plant or two, but I want to store as many as I can for winter… Temptation…

Ginny

Very nice looking potatoes and harvest!

The one on top is a Satsuma plum. Nice flavor and 15-16 brix, with dark red flesh. Much less juicy than Laroda or Superior (a good thing, as I prefer my fruit non-drippy).

Star Zucchini and Heart Lemon Cuke

1 Like

you molded them?

yes

1 Like

Bob you have very cool potatoes! I like potatoes that have a lot of starch in them. When boiled they get soft very quickly, but they are so delicious. Could you recommend a variety like that?

Some pictures from the garden

Alibi and miniature white cucumbers

Sweet pickle and pizza pepper (on the right)

Flavoburst peppers

Sunburst patty pan summer squash

It is not Halloween yet, but my pumpkins do not care.

3 Likes

The squash vine borers managed to do in all of my squash and pumpkins. It makes me happy to see so many coming out of other gardens. I enjoyed those pics.

And the cukes! So many of them! That’s wonderful. I was very glad that mine made it through so much of the summer this year and kept giving me cucumbers for the season. But I only got one or two at a time, never such an abundance as that. Wonderful.

Actually, I almost never boil potatoes, so it is hard for me to say with much certainty. The 3 ways I eat them most often are to roast them on the grill, bake slices in butter, and grate them to make pancakes with egg. The only time I’ve boiled them is when I wanted to do a stir fry with them and make sure that they are cooked through first. And I felt bad about throwing the nutrient filled water away.

From the potatoes I am growing this year, I think the best for boiling would be All Blue and the worst for it would be Papa Cacho (too hard and waxy, but boy does the plant grow big and have staying power).

I think Mountain Rose and Adirondack Red would also be good. Of the 2, you may want to go with MR, as it has much cleaner looking skin.