What's Growing in Your Veggie Garden? Got pics?

yes

1 Like

Bob you have very cool potatoes! I like potatoes that have a lot of starch in them. When boiled they get soft very quickly, but they are so delicious. Could you recommend a variety like that?

Some pictures from the garden

Alibi and miniature white cucumbers

Sweet pickle and pizza pepper (on the right)

Flavoburst peppers

Sunburst patty pan summer squash

It is not Halloween yet, but my pumpkins do not care.

3 Likes

The squash vine borers managed to do in all of my squash and pumpkins. It makes me happy to see so many coming out of other gardens. I enjoyed those pics.

And the cukes! So many of them! That’s wonderful. I was very glad that mine made it through so much of the summer this year and kept giving me cucumbers for the season. But I only got one or two at a time, never such an abundance as that. Wonderful.

Actually, I almost never boil potatoes, so it is hard for me to say with much certainty. The 3 ways I eat them most often are to roast them on the grill, bake slices in butter, and grate them to make pancakes with egg. The only time I’ve boiled them is when I wanted to do a stir fry with them and make sure that they are cooked through first. And I felt bad about throwing the nutrient filled water away.

From the potatoes I am growing this year, I think the best for boiling would be All Blue and the worst for it would be Papa Cacho (too hard and waxy, but boy does the plant grow big and have staying power).

I think Mountain Rose and Adirondack Red would also be good. Of the 2, you may want to go with MR, as it has much cleaner looking skin.

Thank you, Bob. Next year I’ll try something more interesting, than the regular potatoes. I do like how MR looks like.
Muddy, I do not know why but cucumbers love my garden. I had only three plants, but they grew big and I was swimming in cucumbers. I was picking them very small to keep up and I was giving away pounds of them. Just yesterday I finished pickling the last butch.

Now they are looking worn out and sad, but I do not care, l am sick of them.
I also have SVB in all of squash. The patty pan summer squash in the picture above just kept producing. It has now visible holes on the trunk, but it still grows. The Halloween pumpkins have very thick stems and they were more susceptible to SVB. When I cut the stems off there was a worm in each of the stems and if I let them stay longer the worms will probably go inside of the pumpkins and destroy them. But my winter pumpkin (I do not know the variety) has thin and very rigid stems. It roots where it sprawls and it is vigorously growing and making the second crop of pumpkins. But I just do not need so many. I would probably use the young pumpkins as a summer squashes, they are really good this way. I could recommend Sunburst summer squash for you to try, and I can send the seeds of my winter squash if you want.

2 Likes

Look, what beauties are growing in my garden.

1 Like

What kind of plant is it?

Tony

The hibiscus type blossoms look very okra like, but the plants themselves look quite different from my okra. I really enjoy okra blooms, have to catch them in the morning before they are gone for the day.

Muddy, you are right. It is Jing’s Orange okra from Baker creek seeds. I grew only Clemson spineless before. The plant is very ornamental. It is just started the production of pods, you can see them on the last picture. They loose their red color when cooked.

It’s a gorgeous plant! The type of plant you could tuck into a flower garden and the uninitiated would appreciate its beauty without realizing its a food. :smiley: Okra is a veggie that enjoys our hot, humid summers. Thank you for posting those pics. That’s one veggie I’m definitely going to have to add to the garden!

Small towns around here have annual festivals for one type of food or another. One town has a peach festival. Another has the peanut festival. Our town has its annual Okra Strut every September.

nice looking red okra

Not exactly what I want to be growing, but I made a good crop of these. Picking about a half dozen a day from 35 mater plants.

beautiful creature, but I am not sure I want to pick it, :fearful:

I never like them with that accidental mushy touch! :unamused:

Just beautiful! How do they taste? (the large striped squashes?)

Good photo of that uninvited guest, John. Tell them the party is over. Keep playing the bouncer and kicking those party crashers out of there!

1 Like

I’m knocking on wood!

A friend of mine swears those things make the best catfish bait. He says, “stick a wooden matchstick up their butt and turn them inside out”