What's Happening in the Fall of 2017

Will keep an eye out for that!

my father loved this fert. for his potted plants!

I have a Suncrisp that I picked randomly in a clearance sale by Starks back in 2014. Now I am eager to get some apples on it, especially since the highly-touted Goldrush isnā€™t hardy here. I might try grafting Goldrush into my planned Frankentree, anyway, if I can find a scion.

No they are from the self fertile hybrid Eastern Prince. Fantastic plant, I enjoy those berries all winter for tea. I dry them as freezer room is limited.

1 Like

I tried a couple of Suncrisp buds on my Frankenapple, but they didnā€™t take. Wrong time of year, I think

After trying suncrisp today I would agree it is a fantastic apple. I canā€™t believe it took me this long to try one.

1 Like

Suncrisp us an apple that Iā€™ve wanted to taste from the minute I started thinking about planting an orchard. I bench grafted mine in spring 2015 on b9. Nothing yet. Its the slowest growing of the 4 varieties I bench grafted that spring. Looking forward to the day it actually produces.

I actually benchgrafted 2 of them last year and gave them away, what a mistake. I will be adding my own. Ime suprised more people donā€™t talk about it, what a great tasting apple. Also tried a braeburn, donā€™t know about that spelling, didnā€™t care for it.

I think at one point last year, several people spoke highly about it. Thatā€™s the reason why I looked for scionwood and was able to get it this past spring. Mine is on B8. It will be a couple more years of waiting for me.

1 Like

We have been having exceptionally good apples this year. Donā€™t know if itā€™s the Temps or the fact that locally we have had a bone dry late summer and fall. It only just rained yesterday. Whatever the case great apple year for us

1 Like

One other thing about Suncrisp. It attracts more aphids than any other tree in my orchard. Followed by Williams Pride.

Does anyone have a report on when Enterprise is ripe/mature? I have my first two on my tree this year in the same cluster. So if I pick one, I will probably end up with both coming off. (@ltilton? @chikn?)

I have Enterprise and it is ripe now. Thick skin, but very good tasting apple. Not my favorite.

2 Likes

I had one Enterprise apple on my tree and the squirrels got to last week. I was trying to hold out on picking it, but no luck.
Enjoy

1 Like

About this time, itā€™s a late apple

I donā€™t have any now, Iā€™ve turned the tree over to a Frankenapple

1 Like

Was it that bad? I put on a graft not long ago but maybe I should remove it - ?

The tough skin is really offputting and the flavor mediocre, but it does well for baked apples. I got it because of disease resistance, which it does have, and itā€™s a good keeper. But at the end of the season, Iā€™d go to the fridge and there they were, still, uneaten.

1 Like

Thanks - its outta here!

Couldnā€™t agree more!

I think i just got inspired, you have such a good ideas actually.
P.s; Guys the photos are amazing!
Your forum is amazing actually! I have some health problems and i have to spend lots of time searching for drug reviews, but when iā€™m here i forget about everything! I continue to do my fav thing growing fruits and vegetables and i forget about disease! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: