What's happening today 2016?

Continuing the discussion from What's happening today?:

We past the 500 message mark so I thought it was time to start new. Hope all agree.
It’s been crazy warm on Long Island with record warmdays in November and December. December averaged about 12 degrees above normal. Yesterday was 52. This week should be normal with temps in teens and 20’s. Still picking freash parsley and garlic is looking nice.

1 Like

We got about 2ft of snow overnight and might get another ft today. For those that know what the term “lake effect snow” means will understand ! Snow at the rate of several inches per hr ! Second big hit we have had in a weeks time. Got a call to get into work on my night off at about 9PM and gave up around midnight with it still snowing hard. Short break this morning as the wind has changed but supposed to swing back and start snowing again. Will be back to work this afternoon.
These are from two winters ago but no different than this last week. Can move 5,000 tons per hr with the blower !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kzdEm03Vlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGtWV8pdXk

5 Likes

I think i’d rather deal with the cold air then that! I like a little snow…just a little —like a couple inches–for the season :slight_smile:

-1F for a high yesterday…-10F again overnight. Still shouldn’t be an issue on any of the trees…although i do worry about all the sunshine/snow and such cold high temps. Those buds probably warm up nicely …although there has been pretty consistent winds so maybe that helps (or maybe it makes it worse@!).

I noticed the rabbits haven’t touch my unprotected hybrid plum seedling that looks exactly (as does the fruit) wild plum (that i think are pollinating all my trees because there is a thicket not a 100 yards from here). Maybe its just a little too thick for them (although i have some solid damage on a pretty thick seedling apple).

1 Like

11 degrees this morning. Greenhouse stayed above freezing at 42 degrees. So all the citrus and banana plants look good. Supposed to be a little colder tonight. No snow, of course, as it rarely snows here. We just get the cold temps.

1 Like

Our weather here in lower MI has been mild. More normal, which is a nice change. Way too cold for too many years. I know many have been way hot. Nice to have a change. I look forward to warmer weather. As long as we stay above zero, I’m happy.

1 Like

Had to look up the word ‘yoopers’ in the urban dictionary. Yikes!

1 Like

I have to admit that I am not a “Yooper” as I live just a couple miles below Da bridge but I spend a ton of time up there. The vids were shot just below the bridge also, where I live in the ice box of Michigan (Pellston) ! Been a warm winter here with only one night getting below zero and not much snow until the last week ! Didn’t quite get the ft. they were forecasting for yesterday through last night , but it is snowing again today. Realized last night that all those lights (you can see in spots in the vids)did not get marked properly this year before the snow and many were completely covered. Had to keep turning off the head lights on the blower to find the glow from the light under the snow to see where they were! I always find it funny that whenever we get a lot of snow they call in every one for the day shift ( 4 extra guys for a total of 7) and as soon as I get there in the afternoon they all go home leaving me and one or two other guys to do the same work !

One more vid from a couple winters ago !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvoyYFrQc5k

Its right out of the movie ‘Fargo’!

1 Like

My in-laws are in Cheboygan, so I’m there at least 3 or 4 times a year. My son has a place in Kalkaska so there too from time to time. Both still in lower MI. I have only crossed the bridge a few times. Awesome up there on that bridge. It’s a bridge that doesn’t have walls that block your view. You can see fine! Lake Huron in the east and Lake Michigan in the west. When the lakes are frozen, going over that bridge is an experience for sure. I usually purchase white fish when I’m up there. The days catch! Great fish fresh. it has to be fresh!

1 Like

They have I-75 closed just south of here now with a big pile up due to white out conditions . Logging truck and charter bus involved in it . Don’t know how many (if any ) were injured .

Finally our first snowfall last night. A whole inch or maybe two. Very windy though. It looked pretty for a while. Nice to see ‘a little’ white stuff. Time to check the trunks of my trees.

1 Like

I tried my hand at cleft grafting today. These two are my best attempts. The scion is Brooks Cherry onto my existing 4in1 Cherry. I’m not showing my 10 other attempts! :blush:

BTW, I tied up the union real tight with green nursery tape. Hopefully, there’s enough contact. I also covered up the scion in parafilm.

2 Likes

I cut daffodils and put them in a vase to keep something cheerful in sight over the next several dull rainy days.

1 Like

When you do a cleft graft and if the understock is larger than the scion, just make sure one side is flush and the other side does not matter.

Tony

2 Likes

Below zero this morning after more snow yesterday . This was the sunset yesterday evening I stopped the blower to get a photo of .

8 Likes

Hey Dirt, what made you choose a cleft graft? It’s hard to tell from the picture but to me it appears the scion and the understock are pretty much the same size. Would’ve been a perfect candidate for whip and toungue.

I practiced W/T a lot but I just couldn’t get matching cuts. All my cuts end up being a bit scooped so the cambium wouldn’t match either. I need someone to show me in person I guess.

If you are having a problem with scooped cuts you may want to check the knife you are using. Grafting knives are beveled only on one side and will help you make straight cuts.

2 Likes

I haved a double edged curved blade knife. I bought a utility knife yesterday and will try it out.

1 Like