What's happening today 2016?

Looks good. I am heading to 80East now and should be there in 7 hrs. just make sure you save me a few of those bowls.

Tony

Tony,

Stop by and I’ll send you into my “jungle” to pick your own!

Tom

2 Likes

Yeah…that looks insanely good.

What variety do you have there?

Less than 10% humidity, we can do that! Of course not sure how they will like our snow in the winters :grin:

1 Like

Scary stuff there speedster. I saw that same video on the weather channel today. They edited it with their own news person speaking.

1 Like

As I was walking into the house just now, having come in from work, then straight from car to orchard for some snacks, then into the house, I was literally smiling like the village idiot and thinking that I need to log in and thank my friends for my orchard. By friends, I mean all of you- and I don’t think that is too strong a word. We have more in common, we communicate more often, and we know as much about our favorite foods as I do some of my “real life” friends. I think we have a nice little community here filled with good people that I genuinely like and who are always willing to help. I’m glad Scott created this world, that we have moderators who keep things in order, and that we’ve been lucky enough to attract a great group of diverse people with a shared interest.

The reason I was smiling as I was coming inside was that it just kind of hit me all at once that in spite of all my failures, struggles, mistakes, and challenges- I’ve also had quite a bit of success! (thanks to you folks). While in my orchard I picked up a plastic container and by the time I got into the house I had peaches, nectarines, plums, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and one plumcot! Yes, that really is true- I picked all those in just a few minutes as I walked through and admired my orchard. Now, they weren’t all perfect- some had cracks or blemishes and I didn’t say I got large amounts of all those. But I did get enough of each to really enjoy (not just to taste a bite or two) and it really occurred to me- kind of for the first time- that after 4 long years I have actually (kind of/sort of) made my dreams of having lots of fresh fruit to pick in my back yard come true!!! Heaven knows I’m not done learning or even really out of the “beginner” category. I know less than most of you, I still make mistakes, and I still have about 1.24 million things I need to do in my little orchard. But tonight I’m going to enjoy a wide variety of fresh fruit that was picked in my own little imperfect orchard, just as I dreamed of doing 4 years ago when I planted my first peach tree from Lowes! Since then people on the site have answered countless questions and held my hand through hard times and celebrated the good ones. So thanks to my work and your support, I’m eating lots of fresh fruit this summer and have lots more at various stages of the pipeline. So thanks to @scottfsmith for the site and the rest of you for your support. Its been a long ride but it’s been well worth it. May all your trees be filled with good fruit.

11 Likes

OMG, has the water finally receded? Bless you all.

1 Like

@speedster1, I am glad you are not in that dangerous area. My heart goes out to the families that suffered. It’s scary!

3 Likes

Thanks. We got a lot of rain in my area and lost power for 13 hours but we did not have flooding like that. The worst of the flooding was just south of me in the central part of the state. My company has an office in Lewisburg which got flooded. People were sleeping in the cars.

Dude, that is too hard too resist, low hanging fruit so to speak.

1 Like

hahaha. If the shoe fits I can wear it, and when it comes to fruit (and now beekeeping) I very often do feel like a big dummy. But trust me, I’ve got some very thick skin. Everyone who lives in my city thinks they are my boss (and in a way they are) and so they are not shy about berating me on any given day. Pretty much every decision I make ends up making some happy and some mad, and the mad ones are the ones most likely to call or come by call me things much worse than the village idiot! :slight_smile: ha

2 Likes

Attention everyone…

6 months from today is Christmas :christmas_tree:

ho ho ho

2 Likes

Looks like something is happening with these Pawpaw grafts.Thanks Tony,for the scions. Brady

4 Likes

If I heard, “Ho ho ho!” this time of year, I’d expect to see the green giant!

3 Likes

I’m already getting my Xmas lights out and organizing them. I have the tree picked already. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I hate extremely cold weather (anything below 0F)…but at least i’m not worrying about Japanese Beetles, curculios, heat index values…

1 Like

I have no idea of what I have. There’re 2 varieties in the raised bed 10’x3’. One (thorny and reddish branches) I inherited from a college botanical teacher and the other (green and almost thornless) was from Home Depot that I lost the tag long time ago! Some tastes like a hint of chocolate and the other is just like any store bought raspberry… :smiley:

Today, I made another round and pick another tubful of raspberries and some blueberries. I’m going to have raspberries coming out of my ears!

4 Likes

Better to have raspberries going into your mouth. :grin:

They look wonderful. My summer raspberry season is pretty much done, but they were abundant while they lasted. They didn’t leaving me mourning that their season was over, because there is still the seemingly endless fall crop to look forward to. Oh, I do love fresh raspberries! Enjoy yours every way that you can think of.

1 Like

Muddy,

How do I know if mine would yield a fall crop? Or mine is just simply one crop only!

I don’t know what varieties you have. So, all I can say is that I would cut out the canes that die back after the summer crop and leave the young healthy canes. If they give you berries until a freeze, then you have fall bearers. :slight_smile: Other people here might know if there are other ways to determine fall production. If they do, I’d like to hear, too.

2 Likes

Freeze them! Then you can make a pie in February and be really happy!

1 Like