What's happening today 2016?

We’ve almost always used shad raps. (or cheap imitations///losing shad raps in snags is $$$)…#5s …most walleyes around here seem to be caught shallow in late spring/summer–as little as a few feet. This high water usually pushes them off the main channel and back into the sloughs where they concentrate a little more. In low water it can be tough finding them because fishing wing dams is/can be a pain (current/rocks/snag city). In the heat of the summer you can usually find big smallies on those wingdams tight lining a crawler.

I use to fish all the time when i had a boat/no kids. That was basically my life growing up. Now i rarely get out.

One thing i’ve noticed over the years is the pontoons have taken over…its like every boat you see now is a pontoon. I want one.

Tom, those peaches are beautiful. I would take just one to make me happy. Its better than beginner’s luck! You’re looking like a pro! Great looking peaches. How do they taste?

Mrsg47,

I have no other peach nor experience to compare with so it’s going to be bias! I think it’s sweet and crunchy while not tree ripe. It tastes even sweeter and soft on some of the early tree-ripe… Though I wish it more peachy flavor like the yellow flesh types…

Overall, I’m delighted with this year’s production. Hopefully I get another delightful and flavorful harvest from next year crop as the tree maturing…

Tom

2 Likes

Mamuang,

It’s definitely beginner’s lucks. I sprayed insecticide twice on everything, peaches, plums, pears, apples and cherry at marble size but all my plums got decimated (over hundreds) with no harvest. Here the peach is pretty intact, only squirrel damages.

Fungus may slowly find its way since my grapes had that and I did sprayed fungicide only onto the grape, just last week or two.

Tom

Took about 3 years for brown rot to find my peaches and cherries. By 4 years, it has won the battle.

This seems to be fairly typical, and other problems are the same like PC, which took 2 fruiting seasons to find my fruit. Although thanks to this place I was ready, well sort of, and lost some to PC and rot, but my harvest is still bigger than my first year, and two trees have no fruit due to late freezes. Stone fruits are difficult to grow no doubt!

Squirrels have a particular soft spot for donut peaches. They eat them with a bite-rotate-bite-rotate etc, its like they were made for squirrels to eat. Now I have some big peaches ripening and I am finding them partly eaten on the ground in random spots, the squirrel could not get them all the way up the tree so they abandoned them.

1 Like

This morning the cat was sitting in the open door to the patio, looking out at the large rabbit munching my lilies

Did she leap to rend and slay the varmint, as she should?

No, she stayed in the doorway until the scary rabbit left

2 Likes

Yeah I’m about to spray my peaches with last year’s powdered hot peppers. This year I will have very deadly peppers to coat my fruit, hope the squirrels like spiced peaches.:imp:
My Carolina Reapers are not ripe yet, I have three plants, deadly looking suckers though!

3 Likes

Harvested some green chili’s for authentic green chili stew. I left a few on to turn red for seeds, and for red powder to mix in my chili powder recipe.

3 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised to see my fig plant 2t leaf, nice thick fat figs.

8 Likes

Do you know the variety of fig, Alcedo?

1 Like

Drew, what variety are those chilies? Is there a link for the recipe?
I’m growing anchos and cayennes and then bells, of course.

The big ones are Nu Mex Big Jim Heritage. Others are NuMex Heritage 6-4, also some of the bigger ones, NuMex Joe E. Parker and Todo Dia Mira El Sol.

I love green chili’s by far my favorite pepper. I just like the flavor of green chili’s. Very unique, sort of like how jalapeno has it’s own flavor. So do green chili’s. The Nu Mex ones are excellent and bred for extreme flavor. I also grow Big Jim Legacy. All mentioned are awesome. They really like the dry, hot weather here this year. Much bigger than last year, more too!

1 Like

You beat me to it, Muddy. Now I’m just waiting to hear what’s in the name of this (tasty) beauty…!

Tom

I dice those up (without gloves) and then i go put my contacts in.

2 Likes

How do you get peppers so early? wow. I still haven’t seen blooms yet!

LOL! With the reapers I plan to wear gloves and mask! After drying I use a coffee grinder for powder, this is where a mask is a must, these things are 10 times hotter than habanero. I feel they are close to being dangerous. Possible medical emergency could result if someone picked one and tried to eat it. Last year my neighbor out of curiosity went into my yard and tried a very pretty scotch bonnet. Lucky it was only a scotch bonnet! About as hot as a habanero. She confessed to me a few weeks later! I could not help but laugh!

I see that too, it is probably line or something that looks like whiskers.
Dave a super nice catch! Very cool! I said I have caught a lot in some years, but I don’t think I ever caught that many in one outing. Even with a group of friends. Nice charter place for sure.
The perch really are my favorite fish. Not much fun to catch, but man they are good. Last time I cooked perch i had 200 fillets! For about 25 of us. Every single fillet was gone! The fillet’s were skinned too.

a trip to Maroc brought me to this fruit, now it grows in my backyard, for me an unknown species.Maybe in a couple of weeks I hope I can tast it

1 Like