What's happening today 2016?

I believe it gets boiled before dehydrating and grinding into powder. You could pot that up and bring it in for the winter so that it can really take off next spring. Once you have it going good, you can harvest what you require from the roots and still keep the plant chugging along. You would probably have to bring it in, or put it in your greenhouse for the winter in your zone, since it’s a tropical/subtropical plant.

@mamuang was correct when she said ginger. The curcuma are part of the ginger family. I’m guessing that you’re growing curcuma longa, yellow turmeric. I have a couple of curcuma zedoaria, which is white turmeric. They are part of the collection of plants that I brought back from my trip to Puerto Rico.

1 Like

A good blueberry and blackberry harvest today. I got a gallon of blackberries, the best grade ones were put in this container for fresh eating. Navaho, Loch Ness, and Triple Crown cultivars were picked today. Chester is still red. One ripe berry, and it was fantastic. A cultivar often described as having good berries, not excellent. Well they are excellent this year. Balls of sugar.

The Chandler blueberry has it’s faults. Hard to tell when ripe. Needs smart pruning as it tends to have low production otherwise. But the size of some of the berries, and when perfectly ripe are very good. A firm berry too.

3 Likes

Brought in the Candy onions on account of predicted rain - I got the spouse to confirm they were easily softball size

Off now to do budding - wood arrived in the mail

1 Like

I did not pay close attention to a ginger family when I grew up. Had I known I’d be quizzed in the US, I’d have paid more attention :grin:

Ginger flowers have very nice fragrance (at least, to me)… I tried to grow it last year for that reason. Unfortunately, overwinter it in my dry house and improper watering killed it. I may try it again.

2 Likes

Good! Good luck with the buds!

Wow, I have seen tumeric roots in specialty stote, small roots look like some kind of worm.but have never seen its leaves. It looks like cannon plant. Do you have to move them inside during the winter? Why they are not planned in spring,? I am just curious

1 Like

My reliance is color up. too many on the tree,not thinned enough

7 Likes

Mine have not ever gotten to the point of flowering as I harvest the plant around frost. I’m just happy to have healthy leaves :wink:
The galangal root, to me, smells wonderful.
@IL847 I guess these could/should be brought it depending on your growing zone. I’ll likely experiment since I have several plants.

What varieties are you budding?

Sweet 16 and Suncrisp to my Enterprise - still hoping for some Fuji

Budded a few cots a couple weeks ago, including a Nectacot - Honey Pearls I think it must be

2 Likes

Anne,
Since I have a few cannas in ground, it has peaked my curiosity. I looked up cannas and gingers. They are in the same order but different families. No wonder why they look alike.

Bananas are also in this order. Thanks for posting. I’ve learned something.

2 Likes

Had some wind today so lost about 4 gallons of pears. On picking those up I saw that the birds were already eating them. So put on some bags and when those ran out put on the 30% shade netting.

These were Bosc, Comice, and Korean Giant. I usually don’t pick until mid Sept. But was planning on Sept 1 this yr. Seeds are still pretty white. Comice tastes sweeter than expected for this early. Maybe I need to pick earlier.

10 Likes

One of my favorite sights is pears hanging from trees. They look like they were hung there as decorations.

2 Likes

I have mine all netted up and it looks gnarly and twisted

But it keeps out the squirrels

Does the shade cloth have any effect on the fruit color or ripening?

That’s 30% shade cloth. I’d say it has little if any effect on the fruit at this stage in the season. My greenhouse is about 50% of outdoor light levels and brix is very high. Color is affected some on things where light makes a difference, like peaches. But eating quality doesn’t seem affected.

I have always wondered what has they biggest influence on ripening fruit. Is it Sun light? Is it heat? Or are there other factors. I wonder in particular for greenhouse growers like us but5 also for people who bag there fruit. I too notice that in my greenhouse there is almost no affect on color on my fruit or tomatoes and I don’t think any quality diffrences. I do plan on growing some replicas outdoors as well for some side by side comparisons next season.

Heat has the biggest influence on maturity date. Warm nights can really speed things up. You are well ahead of us because you have warmer nights spring and summer.

Went out this morn to check my almost ripe Shiro plums

Anyone here will certainly know what I found

Is it what you found or what wasn’t there, i.e. ripe and intact shiro plums hanging on the tree?