What's happening today 2016?

What IS that thing?

Drew,
I also planted purple tomatillos this year. Mine are less purple, they are mainly green with some purple strikes and blotches on the sunny sides. I was actually surprised that they were quite sour tasting, well more sour than the green tomatillos I grew last year. Go figure…

If I left them hang they turned all purple. I still didn’t like them. Not saving seed.

It’s a stump grinder. The good ones are self propelled with hydraulic controls. The one I rented was manual controlled and damn near killed me.

2 Likes

Note to self - Don’t even THINK about renting a manual stump grinder - ever.

4 Likes

SWD us horrible. I found some half ripe gold raspberries and they were just full of them. I ended up cutting them all out. I’m done. I have some summer ripening reds and we’ll see how they go.

Hot today after some cool days. The other morning we were down to 52F and i could actually see my breath. Looks like some warm and then some rain this next week and next weekend looks very FALLISH up here. Probably highs in the 60Fs and maybe some 40Fs at night.

Hello all! I am in the mountains of Utah camping and at an elevation around 5800 feet. Right next to me is an apple tree with tons of good sized apples!! Perfectly ripe. This is NOT common here and it is a very remote area. The apples were tart but sweet. Very reminiscent of green apple candy. They were also soft but not overly mealy. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I have one cut for the pic and it has not browned at all in over 2 hours!
What a fun little find. I cooked a lot of them over the fire with the ribs. Delicious. Another interesting thing is the leaves. They don’t look like any of the Apple leaves I have seen before.

3 Likes

Probably Yellow Transparent.

I thought Bluecrop was a mid season, July, blueberry.

Lol. Yes it sucked but at least it’s done. It’s nice to have the stumps out but an additional benefit is multiple dump carts full of fine hardwood chips.

4 Likes

Yes, those wood chips certainly are lovely. That’s a nice added benefit.

It still sounds like a job for someone at least twice my size and half my age. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could’ve saved your back and just carefully placed 12 little sticks of dynamite.

Just sayin… :grin:

3 Likes

Like I said: late season pickings. This was in far-flung northern PA, near the NY line. Rows and rows of tall mature bushes often have stragglers still hanging around, and if you pick enough, they can add up to a bucket’s worth of blueberry goodness.

I have heard (but not tried myself) that if you cut the stump down to near ground level, then drill some 1/2 to 3/4" holes in the top down about 6" or so. And then fill the holes with hi nitrogen fertilizer (ammonium nitrate or the like), the stump will rot out within a couple of years. May need some extra watering in dry climates.

Not very immediate on the gratification, but also a lot less work.

1 Like

Cleaning out a box in the garage and a &(&(& mouse ran right up my arm! Traps are out. Always this time of the year do they come in and think they are going to build mouse condos in the garage.

3 Likes

Angel Red, last year I had only one. Looks like I’ll have 7 or 8 this year. Really sweet. Still waiting on my Sweet to fruit, maybe next year.

5 Likes

They get into my basement I don’t know how - already trapped 2 this fall

I dug an old walnut stump out of my garden once. It was right at the end and I wanted to expand past it. So one fall after I got the garden cleaned out I started digging it up. It was a very large stump. As I dug and chopped roots off the thing just looked bigger. When I got every root chopped I still could not budge it. My friend came over and we chained his truck to it after several failed attempts we rolled it out of the hole. It looked like you could have dropped a hot tube in the hole, well not quite but pretty close.

1 Like

My wife “summoned” me to the storage shed yesterday for some important business. She said there was a mouse that had burrowed into an almost empty bag of potting soil, and told me to get rid of it. I looked in it, and didn’t see anything. We thought it had left.

Later, she picked that same bag up, looked inside and screamed, “yaaaaa! It’s still in there!” So I took it outside the shed, and dumped the soil out and out came a mouse with a bunch of babies attached. Before she could smash it with a shovel, the mouse entourage scurried down into the creek bed.

I spent the next couple hours cleaning out the junk from the shed, to rid them of some of their hiding places. But, even that won’t keep them all out. Guess we need to set out some traps as well.

Oh, and apparently, about 25 or so wasps, or dirt dobbers, have taken up residence in the top of the shed. After my encounter with wasps last month, I’m content to leave them be for now.

1 Like

I let the mice live in the shed - it’s far from the house and I figure better there than here