What's happening today 2016?

OK, adding that one to my notes thanks! One day if I move and have room, I will be adding many, many trees!

I think thrips catface the fruit. Apparently they are not here!?

My sweet bagels are still not close to being ripe.

In China you can watch your melons grow online

Yeah…Tri Lite is in a 25 gallon pot…which seems to work better then 15 gallon pots for me.

I should have plenty of Fantasia scion wood for 2017,if wanted.From reading your posts though Drew,grafting doesn’t sound like one of your favorite ventures.But,the offer is still there,for anyone really.Brady

2 Likes

Yesterday some members urged me not to give up on grafting, so yeah, I’ll need some.
I had some really awesome wood this year, super bummed nothing took.

I just set 75 mousetraps in my orchard. I put peanut butter on the bait holder, then dip the trap in sunflower seeds, so some stick in the peanut butter. I set plastic trays over them or put them in the chicken wire cages around the bushes so I don’t catch birds. Last year I caught scads of mice that way in the fall. I also sprinkled a little sulfur around my four little chestnut trees, as I read that they like a low Ph soil and mine have yellowish leaves. While I was at it, I also sprinkled a little sulfur very lightly on my gooseberries, currants, and raspberries. I have some Prime Ark Freedom blackberries ripe that are actually bigger than my Black Ice plums were. I had covered them really well last winter, so hope I can get them through the coming winter also. I was up late last night reading about pecan-hickories developed by Badgersett Nursery in Canton, MN. They say they are not hiccans. I’m always game for new things if they might work, as I have room to experiment a bit. The main problem is I am just getting old to wait for slow producers. Anyone in zones 3 or 4 ever tried the pecan-hickories?

1 Like

Count me in for a stick if you have any available next spring. If it works in Scott’s region it may be good for mine as well. I found out that spring grafting nects can be tough buy it’s worth a shot.

1 Like

I might drive over to Badgersett and see what they have. Their blog says they are open on weekends. I’ve always been interested in their stuff.

I have found the more rough looking nectaplums with sugar spots on them are much tastier than than the nicer colored ones

1 Like

I agree fantasia is a good nectarine, my tree is on citation just 2 years old and the few it had were very large, and had a nice ballance of sugar and acid. Another good one here in the Midwest is redgold, though I think fantasia is better

When does Fantasia ripen for you?

Drew,

I felt the same way. Lots of good wood. Hardly anything took.

I’ve since figured out that one of my peach T-buds took, but the bud itself was dead, so now I have just a chip of blind wood swallowed in by healing tissues.

I believe that - by the time this spring’s wacky weather calmed down - there was a very small late window for prime stonefruit grafting season. And by the time that window arrived (late April here) almost all of my stonefruit scionwood was essentially dead (the cambium was barely green and the buds themselves were no longer viable). The past winter/spring was the worst season I’d ever seen for propogating and cloning. I had some successes, but I had an inordinately high number of frustrating failures.

Its late for a nectarine, the second half of August.

Warmwxrules, Give us a report. Their website lists a minimum order, but I don’t know if that applies if you go in person. I suppose it is too early in the year for nut samples.

I’m not sure what sugar spots are supposed to be? Spots are all over mine. I still think they look nice!

1 Like

Here’s some pictures of sugar speckling. Agree the dark, rough looking speckled fruits are usually the best tasting. These are in the 28 brix range.

6 Likes

Nice, yeah mine have a low brix this year. I know I can do better. I had fruits more like that last year. But you know I like them how they are now, very happy with the fruit. Last year, i was ready to pull the tree, all sugar no taste.
From last year

3 Likes

That’s them. That is what looks good to me.

I am envious of all your delicious looking fruits. I have No fruit to show, just a blue heron in my backyard. It is eyeing my fish pond, didn’t get any fish.

9 Likes