What's happening today 2016?

Look out the window, see a gang of squirrels raiding my Enterprise tree, so I run them off and pick what’s there - all eleven apples

And that’s the end of this year’s fruit

Next year my trees are going to be SO overset!

2 Likes

Hope you can thin the herd this winter!!

It’s hard where I live - everything is prohibited, and neighbors have been known to peach

But something has to be done, they’re totally out of hand

For the first time in my life I saw today white peaches, I bought them in the local supermarket.

2 Likes

Today I bought a container of guavas. I cut one in half and attempted to eat it. wtf! How are you supposed to eat those things? The seeds were hard. Like little pebbles. The flesh was thin. Very weird fruit

Can you post pic? I am one of those eating crunchy guava, never like the soft ones.

Alcedo,

I hope you will grow the seeds.

Tony

1 Like

These things are extremely fragrant. They smell great. Bit they aren’t very sweet, are quite tart, and the seeds just kind of ruin it.

Guava, in my experience, is not a sweet fruit. In fact, a good one is mildy sweet with a bit of sour and a lot of crunch.

The one I am familiar with is a large pale green fruit. I eat the whole thing seeds and all. When I see them in a store next time, I take pictures to compare with your.

I know some American friends who like to eat very ripe, soft guavas, some are pink inside.

I picked figs and one last big watermelon

8 Likes

Thin that herd also?

Thick fog here in the river valley this morning. Very common this time of year. It’s weird because you’ll drive just a few miles and it will be full sunshine. Leaves are really starting to change, but still not near peak. Not sure how the colors will be with all the rain this summer/fall. Looking like 70F this afternoon… nice day for a hike.

First 30Fs of the season next weekend looking possible. Maybe not frost here in the city, but outside the city quite possible.

Webcam grab from Riverside Park here in La Crosse…you can see some leaf color change…the fog has actually thinned out a lot now compared to earlier.

7 Likes

Still eating a few figs here and there on my trees. Everything else is finished for the season except a few self fertile musdadines respond to July pruning done to make vines manageable for bird netting by producing a very small crop that ripens in early November during warm falls. God bless.

Marcus

I still have raspberries, strawberries, figs, and about 30 peaches to harvest here. It will end with frost, but all mentioned will produce till that happens, at least a month away.

1 Like

Snow, snow ,snow and more snow

Started my new hobby, wood turning. Now I have more wood shavings to dispose of.

4 Likes

I posted back on Sept. 18 that my Joy bush cherry was starting to flower and had some tiny immature cherries on it. Decided to go outside in the rain today, take a look around and took a couple of pics. Joy is still chugging along.

Pic 1 Joy bush cherry is still flowering and has immature cherries forming.

Pic 2 Joy bush cherry showing some more flowers and a cherry on it not yet completely ripe.

‘Bearss’ limes, ‘Wonderful’ poms, early ‘Kishu’ mandarins & ‘Pink Lady’ apples are coming in here.

1 Like

Can’t believe I’m out today picking green beans, in almost-November

Picking green beans? In Chicago? I thought y’all had some freezes already.

We had a 36 degree night Tues morning, and it hurt some of my still producing pepper plants. Yesterday morning it was about 35, and they looked fried today. So, looks like my gardening is done for the year.