Well, since it was so nice today, I wanted to finish putting a gate on the deck. I made the gate last week out of 2×4’s and 2×2 bannister posts. It was probably a bit heavy, but that’s OK.
The posts I attached it to were not level or square, so I had to shim the hinges so the gate would swing level. I also added a latch. To my surprise everything works like it’s supposed to, and everything ended up level.
The Doodette was quite pleased with my handiwork, and is already asking me to make some raised planting beds for herbs, lettuce, cabbage etc. No good deed goes unpunished it seems!
I plan on replacing a bunch of deck boards so excuse their ratty appearance. I plan on putting some dark stain on all the deck, railings and gate when I’m done.
My wife wanted the gate there to keep the dog off the deck whenever the work’s done. He sheds a lot and leaves lots of hair on the mats and deck boards. I had bought most of the hardware a year ago, so I obviously wasn’t in a hurry. But, I’m happy with the results. I just had to take a few pics:
Just an addendum to my post, I figured up how much it cost to make the gate. Counting the cost of the lumber, hinges, latch and screws, it came out to about $28. Not too bad, but there’s also the labor that went into it. I think I spent maybe 8 hours building the gate, and 3 hours mounting it.
It took longer than it should to build it. I used a circular saw to make the cross pieces, which ended up being not square. So, I had to borrow my BIL’s miter saw to cut them properly. Plus, I seemed to have issues getting the 2×2 posts evenly spaced.
Anyways, it took a while but I’m pleased how it turned out.