As I posted in another thread, I potted up my 3 apple bench grafts today.
Since they’re still dormant, I thought I should get my orchard apple trees pruned today. I don’t know if I did it right, but they needed to be cleaned up. I tried to get rid of waterspouts, any extra central leaders, rubbing branches, and trim back any unusually long low scaffolds that were reaching for the sky. I dipped my pruners in a water/bleach solution after each cut. I ended up with a 5gal bucket almost full of cuttings.
Later this week, I’m going to try to do some hinge cuts to pull down some upward sweeping scaffolds, and perhaps do some notch cuts to induce some new branches.
It seemed brutal doing all that cutting, but it needed to be done. It was first time doing any large scale pruning, so I hope I didnt butcher my trees. We’ll see how they turn out.