What's happening today - 2018 edition

My male cats have often been followers. I don’t often see a male tuxedo, but he’s just perfect.

1 Like

Outdoor: you’ll be swimming in fruit in a couple of months. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

After three years of work this Italian Prune tree is finally starting to produce again. My parents didn’t do any pruning for a few years, the fruit production went down, the tree became unbalanced and branches were dying off on it. I’m hoping for buckets of plums this year.

12 Likes

Looks like you’ll be “plum loaded” with fruit this year. Are those rabbiteye blueberries? And, have you had any fruit off the PrimeArk plants before, if so how big were they and how’d they taste? I just planted a PA Freedom and Traveler this weekend, along with an Osage and Ouachita.

2 Likes

Anyone recg

onize this? It’s a bush of sorts and I just saw it bloom this year. never seen iy bloomed here before. It’s not planted …it’s wild.

1 Like

That looks like Sparkleberry/Farkleberry.The fruit is not suppose to be very appetizing.
Some work has been done though, in using the plant for grafting Blueberry scions to,because of no need for acidic soil.
I have a small one in a pot and am going to try that with.Brady

5 Likes

I looked it up and it sure appears it is. I was very surprised to see it. Honestly when you said Sparkleberry/Farkleberry I thought you were messing with me. That’s something I’ve never heard of and it sounds made up…LOL…Thank you. It is sure pretty and I’ll leave it alone and the birds may take to it instead of my good stuff!!

1 Like

I received my order from One Green World on Saturday. I had ordered a Shenahdoah paw paw. I got a William’s Pride apple and Ubileen Pear. No paw paw. Spoke to them today and agreed to pay for the Ubileen, return the apple, and they will send the paw paw stat. While I was at it I ordered Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It was on sale for $15 and the shipping was going to be free with the paw paw.
Damn this forum for making me buy too many trees.

8 Likes

Aww come on…You know you love it! LOL :+1::grin:

1 Like

I know the feeling… it keeps me broke!

2 Likes

I can’t even venture to say how much i spent last year and this year. I would probably be embarrassed by the amount. I’ll just say A LOT…

5 Likes

I’ve been catching up on posts here and saw the ramp discussion from a couple of weeks ago. I don’t have ramps but I have been enjoying their relative allium ursinum. I lived in Europe at one point and used to gather it wild there. I planted a small patch under my walnut tree and have been encouraging it to spread.

Sadly this means I have to limit my springtime harvesting.

1 Like

My pear trees are in full bloom. Does anyone else think that pear blossoms smell like fish?

They sure are pretty though.

Looks like you’re doing things right!

Well, I can say for sure that my tree buying days are over!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Now, berry plants, well, that’s another matter…

1 Like

We shall see.

2 Likes

The last of my tree addiction, all pluots. I had to put cages on them as I think I noticed some missing sprouts on them already. Wonder how that happened??

Dapple Dandy

Flavor King

Geo Pride

I think I saw some sprouts on 3 of the newly planted raspberries. But, not sure if they’re really sprouts or weeds.

4 Likes

Outdoor,
Your trees are loaded… Congrats.
However, I have experienced branch breaking due to heavy fruit load
( peaches). Judging from your pic, you leave more paches on your tree than I had on my tree when a large branch broke.

Thinnig fruit is difficult for many of us. You may want to take some of those fruit off. Beaides prevent branch breaking, it helps with fruit size and the 5aste, too.

2 Likes

Ish. It is hard to describe, but fish oil is probably close. Not exactly pleasant…

1 Like

I justify it to myself that when, not if, but when it all works out it will pay for itself. Some people have hobbies like boating. Nothing against boating, but I can’t see any return on investment while boating. Just fun, if you’re into that.

4 Likes