What's happening today - 2018 edition

Bye bye plum trees. You had a an excellent bloom year this year, and should be loaded with fruit, as you were the hot-spot for natives bees of various genera. Too bad your new owners know nothing about the ravages of plum curculio…

4 Likes

Not a lot of people know of the PC. I hope you added a flowering plum surcharge in the closing costs…easily worth $2500 :sunny:

1 Like

Interestingly, Alderman is fragrant this year, but not Superior. I didn’t notice that last year. Most of the P. americana’s around here are fragrant.

A beautiful Saturday for peach tree pruning…sunny & in the 60s with a stiff Westerly breeze. Honey bees arrived next door today so I’m a happy camper.:slightly_smiling_face:

The view today toward our pond…

And a trash can of Contender cuttings to show the amount of fruit buds on the trees this season…

14 Likes

Nice-looking place!

2 Likes

Man I haven’t seen peach trees looking like yours since February.

2 Likes

Put together a few self watering 5 gallon buckets for some extra tomato plants.

10 Likes

Looks like a nice wet overcast day , perfect to set tomatoes out

1 Like

Looks great and so does your lawn! What’s the white pipe for in each bucket?

Beautiful Saturday! I took some pictures of what is happening in the yard.

k

11 Likes

At the time I potted up the maters it was not raining. That water is from me hosing the spilled potting mix off my driveway. It is raining now however. I pulled the planters into the garage as they were fully watered and didn’t need any more.

Thanks. The lawn is a work in progress but is coming along nicely. The white pipe is a watering pipe that extends down directly into the lower water reservoir. There are lots of videos and write-ups online that show how to make these self watering buckets.

2 Likes

Have you ever looked at the rain gutter grow system by Larry Hall? That’s what I’ve been doing with buckets. You won’t have to water.

I have considered growing strawberries in gutters but i don’t know if the reward is worth the investment

1 Like

With this you grow in a container that has a net cup packed with moss sticking out of the bottom of the container or bucket. That sits in the gutter of water. When your plant wants water on a hot day it sucks up the water by wicking. I have four 10’ gutters hooked together with one float valve that is hooked to my rain barrels. You just plant them and forget about them unless you want to fertilize. That’s easy too. you just put it in the gutter. My gutters are in between 2x6 and the buckets sit on that. You can hook a garden hose to them too. The float valve controls the water. https://youtu.be/NyOIRVjatdg

2 Likes

There is no huge investment.

2 Likes

I have seen your photos ,the berries look great, I just think about how many they make. Of course I can buy a box of berries from the store that taste like styrofoam…

1 Like

I’m moving my Mara Des Bois into the gutters this week. Since the are ‘day neutrals’ they will produce all summer long into the fall.

3 Likes

About two quarts

2 Likes

My row of Earliglow strawbs seem to be putting out new clusters of buds every day. Saw some thumbnail sized fruit on some of the plants already.

The Jewel row is starting to bloom up now as well, but they are at least a couple weeks behind EG.

This rain ought to give a boost, as long as they get some sun later.

Some questions: how many fruit (# of pints) would a typical one year old plant produce? How long will they set new fruit during their production period, and how long does that usually last? Do they tend to produce more as you remove the ripe berries?

From what I can count, we have about 24 each of each variety, but not all the plants are the same size, of course. These are all June bearers.

Subdood,
I planted both varieties in 2016. I wish I paid attention to them so I could answer your question :blush:

All I can tell you is they produced some the first year. I lost the tags so I could not tell which is which. They produced abundantly in year two. One bloomed about a week earlier than the other. Per your observation, the earlier bloomer must be Earlierglo). The good new are that they both have a good size and delish. Each produced berries that lasted about a 10-14 day period.

They spread like wild fire. I dug half of them out and gave them to neighbors and friends, several hundread plants. Hope you have a lot of space for them. I need that space for watermelons!!!

2 Likes