What's happening today - 2018 edition

Now that’s what I call growing in Fort Knox. I hope you are able to harvest every one of them!!! :yum:

5 Likes

What fabric did you use? I too have been thinking of building some of these.

1 Like

Looks like Mosquito netting to me…Could be wrong…

1 Like

Ha. My Mason bee house is working… Never thought it would. Did ya know that they go in forward and then come out and go back in backwards? LOL!

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G79X53Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bought a biggest one - this should be enough for 9 enclosures like this one. So I am making one one for plum this year (if it sets, can’t tell yet) and bush cherries. My north star has one from last year. And I should have enough left for next year, when my new apricot and sweet cherries may start producing.

3 Likes

Perfectly shaped tree with a perfectly fitted bag :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now THAT is apricot fanaticism!

May you feast happily

3 Likes

To be honest, it is an advantage of really small orchard. I have very few trees, so I can protect them individually, and yes, with some fanaticism :grinning:.

4 Likes

How many trees do you have? Some people here got 50 trees and consider it a small orchard. That’s why I ask.
I had 3 trees when I joined this forum. Now I have 13!

6 Likes

Let’s see… I have 1 peach, 1 plum,1 sour cherry, 2 bush cherries,1 espaliered apple, 5 dwarf very young apples, another apricot and 4 sweet cherries on Y-UFO training system just planted this year. Eventually it will be just one apricot left, the one on the picture is sick, I am not sure how long it will stay alive.I also have one persimmon that died back to 12 inches this year, 3 blueberries, 5 currants, 2 gooseberries, 3 grapes, few raspberries and 3 honey berries. And a vegetable garden :grinning:. And my property is 6000 sq feet, that includes house, two sheds, and 3 car parking. Sometimes I can’t figure out how all that fits my land :smile:.

7 Likes

Caught this nice fella in the field and bothered him a little to take a pic. Then let him loose underneath a storage container to seek a meal.

12 Likes

Is that a king snake?

1 Like

You are brave. I know it must not be poisonous but still…
Growing an an area where cobras and vipers are not uncommon, I don’t like to be near any live snake.

3 Likes

I think it’s a black snake (at least that’s what we always called them). I think the full name is a black rat snake.

We hardly have any poisonous snakes in my area. I’ve seen a bazillion snakes, but in all my life, I’ve only seen one timber rattler in the wild. There are a few copperheads here, but I’ve not seen any in the wild.

It’s sort of like tornadoes. I live in tornado alley, but have never seen a tornado first hand.

3 Likes

I saw a copra hiding in a bathroom once (it’s shady and cool for it). That bathroom had a tin roof. A guy had to rip open the roof and used a spear to kill a cobra from above. Too dangerous to be near it. I climbed a mango tree to watch it. (when I was young and lighter, of course). Life was more exciting in my childhood.

10 Likes

I almost bought one of those Ulsters, but too poor right now. An excellent cherry.

My old Ulster graft is now blind wood.

I am in the same boat as you with the shiro plums. They are not great, but that trees seems to produce copious amounts of fruit regardless of circumstances.

1 Like

Poor fella looks like he injured his scales a bit. He should scar over fine.

2 Likes

One will be Ulster, the other will be a big rootstock I will topwork next year… probably Attika which I did have but which got munched.

Shiro is the one plum I have, grafted with a redheart. Do you find it has less pest and disease issues compared to other plums. If so, good news!