What's happening today - 2018 edition

The first one is a big noisy bumbler that was working my Honeybee Honeyberries. She was moving really fast, and was hard to capture well.

The second is blossoms on my two year old Bavay’s Green Gage plum. I was shocked to see them! Everything I’ve read about Gage’s says that they take many years to bloom, or bloom erratically, etc. I don’t have another Euro plum that’s ready to bloom yet, so it may not set fruit, but the blossoms make me hopeful for years to come.

The third is some candied violets. They’re not fruit, but I get bored waiting for fruit, and this type of thing happens. Next, dandelion soap!

11 Likes

Here are some Nikita’s Gift bark grafts that are doing well. The psyllids like them too. This volunteer popped up in a shady spot, but I figure if I can enjoy a few fruit on the walk to the mailbox it’s worth it.

I use Saran wrap, sandwich bags, non-sticky gardeners “tape,” etc. under the electric tape. No sticky problems later.

4 Likes

The weather has been very cool and rainy during the full bloom. I am worried about pollination.
It may turn out to be a blessing to have less to thin but I still don’t like it.

I made this Lightning McQueen cake for my son today. Celebrating his 4th birthday.

28 Likes

That is awesome!

2 Likes

I agree. One of the coolest cakes I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

Work is done for the day. Time for a hammock in the trees and a cold one. After the stink bug incident and my luck I’m expecting a bird to poop on me

18 Likes

Bavay’s fruits much faster than the other gages. Golden Transparent Gage is also pretty fast. Purple Gage seems to be the slowest, that one took forever. Green Gage is also very slow.

2 Likes

I finished grafting today. What a roller coaster of weather this year. The last thing I grafted were some mulberries. The cold spring seemed to hold the trees back. Now the weather may be too hot. I also planted some watermelon seeds yesterday that were donated very generously by a member. Hope to get to eat some delicious melon later this summer.

3 Likes

Pruned the Brooks plum the other day and stuck a few sticks into the ground to mark plants in a flower bed. Now I see the leaves perking up, as if they might be going to root.

3 Likes

What am I supposed to be seeing?

1 Like

post recipe!!

That’s where the watermelons are planted, the same hill I grew my 822lbs pumpkin last year

3 Likes

Ha, OK, Good luck and hope ya get at least 823!

1 Like

I don’t think these will get quite that big but they should like the dirt, lol

1 Like

I grew up in Miami. And we had a beautiful loquat tree in our backyard. I have very fond memories of taking a book, and a lounge chair, out under the tree . . . and how relaxing it was from that vantage point. How I wish I could sit under that loquat tree right now.

4 Likes

I planted the last of all the trees that I had to resort to planting by myself. Today, a Black Ice Plum and an Indian Free Peach. The plum was still in pretty good shape . . . but I’ll be surprised if the Indian Free survives. They sat for weeks with damp paper towels around them, in a black plastic bag. 'Just didn’t have the oomph to tackle it.

Only a couple more pomegranates to go in. I decided not to mess with any in pots. They either ‘sink or swim’. I have a few better protected areas in my yard where I’ll but the most tender ones. Everyone else . . . is on their own!

Pink Lady teensie weensie (above)

z67%KtTdSIOViZaG2+Cptw|690x690

Apple grafts. Hope they make it!

This is my Pink Lady Apple. I’m not quite sure what to do with training. ? Any suggestions. The thing is 6’ tall or more!

6 Likes

Nah, that won’t happen, but maybe you’ll soon find out how much yellow jackets like Miller Lite!

5 Likes

I think you might wanna check the ingredients of those Hostess donuts again…

6 Likes

My pink lady is that big too…only on it’s second year and has two very tall branches. It got a few blooms this year but hasn’t produced. I would be interested to know if I should prune it?

2 Likes