What's happening today - 2018 edition

Yup, I would worry about that. I had a wasp go into my can and when I took a drink it stung me on the tonsil. I ended up with the worst headache in the world.

3 Likes

I planted my last peach tree today. A McKay Peach. Worked on a new watermelon patch this afternoon. Came back this evening to put manure on the raised beds and found this …

I hope rabbits don’t like cantelope and watermelon.

6 Likes

Ouch! It could have been worse, I’d think getting stung in the throat area might cause it to cause it to swell up, and constricting your airway. Very dangerous.

I got zapped by a couple wasp stings on my hand a couple years ago. It ended up swelling up almost twice the size of the other hand. Haven’t been stung again since then, but that was very unpleasant.

1 Like

Karen, I think it would be a good idea to pinch out that growth below the graft on your 2nd picture. You want that sap to go through the graft.

3 Likes

Just the new plants!

Finished mulching a row of blueberries today in perfectly dry 60s weather.

Earlier walked through peaches/plums. The bees :honeybee: were busy!

Contender Peach:

Toka Plum:

Underwood Plum:

13 Likes

So. My Ouchita blackberries are ripening! A few aren’t perfect yet but most are. I figure it’s better I get few not quite ripe than the animals get them!

13 Likes

Nice

1 Like

A guy at work after break set a super big gulp down. Then went back to get another drink from the big red straw and sucked a bee into his throat and got stung. We couldn’t figure out what happened to him at first. He was rolling around on the deck choking and trying to clear his throat. I thought we might have to cut a hole but we got him to the hospital before it got to that. and he ended up be okay. His words didn’t come out very well and it was hard to communicate with.

2 Likes

Checked my apricot trees today. Both Harglow and one Tomcot were loaded with blooms . Little to no fruit set. The leaves are starting to emerge so tiny fruitlets are hard to see. Many dead blossoms due to chilly nights! Darn!

1 Like

All my apricot grafts from two years ago set fruit on every flower it appears.

2 Likes

i’ve got a few Puget Gold but its thin this year.

2 Likes

Those look real nice and huge, are they sweet enough yet? How many plants do you have? You ought to get plenty of berries despite the varmits and birds.

Seems that it’s still a bit early for them to be ripening, but y’all are in quite a different climate than us. Our wild plants are just now flowering and some have set some fruit.

The Ouachita I planted last month is now about 4" tall, seems to be doing well, along with the other blackberry plantings.

I’m not a big fan of BB’s, but can’t wait to try some of these domesticated ones. If our Freedom and Traveler plants do well, we might get to try a few primocane berries later this summer.

Our Earliglow strawberry plants have a few light red fruit, so keeping our fingers crossed so that we get to sample some very soon, and then get a bumper crop from the rest of them and the Jewel plants.

They are very nice and sweet. Actually I was surprised. I just planted them last year and have a dozen plants. And I’ve been surprisied myself they are ripening so soon but it has been well into the 70’s and 80’s for most of April and all of May. Even with some pretty cold nights in April we still usually manage mid seventies to low eighties during the daytime. I’m going to do a nice trellis system this year when they finish. I’ve just got some T posts and wire right now but it’s really been just fine. I’m going to redo and maybe move my triple crown. They just are not doing well at all. I think it may be the clayish soil. I’m going to re dig their area and trellis with some good soil… I absolutely love BB…

2 Likes

Thanks. Are the Ouachita plants pretty upright, and not need much support? I plan on using T posts and clothesline wire as trellising on those and the raspberries when they get bigger.

Maybe your plants are producing now because maybe they got enough chill hours, and they prob don’t need much.

I had 5 of 7 Triple Crown tip layers sprout, the tallest ones are about 6in tall. I had a couple of them munched on, by what I don’t know, but I suspect deer. But I covered them with a milk crate and they seem to have recovered.

They are pretty upright. They really benefit from trellising since the canes are so heavy when loaded with fruit. Mine have done fine with T posts and wire. We did get some good chill hours this year. I didn’t expect to see any fruit until this year since I just planted them April last year. They have over delivered this year.

1 Like

Found 3 baby crabs near the cultivars :blush: that makes 6 on propery :blush:

@subdood_ky_z6b, here is some pictures of the new canes up this year and how heavy the crop is.

13 Likes

Thanks for the pics, looks like they’re loaded, and those berries look huge. Plus, those canes look pretty thick. Are they pulling over your T post already? And, are those soaker hoses there underneath them? Did you tip them to get them to shoot out laterals?

Ouachita looks pretty vigorous, my plant was put in the ground about three weeks ago, and it’s already about 6" high already.

Funny you posted these pics, as I started a berry plant and harvest thread earlier today on here. Would you mind posting them on that thread too? Thanks!

Well, gotta get out there and till the tater patch now that it’s cooled off a little bit. My wife will be planting seed taters this evening. Plus, I’m going to throw down some fert and lime on some of the other plots.

When to Spray!!! I saw a Plum Curculio and a honey bee on the same tree at the same time.