What's happening today - 2018 edition

Orchard coming along

Burkittsville Red on G11

Frostbite on G11

11 Likes

love pickled beets!

4 Likes

Nice haul. You know, at first I thought you were cooking lobsters!

5 Likes

Yep, from Cummins Nursery I can tell…

1 Like

Yr correct

We use them to make Beetnicks or Ukrainian Beet Rolls with dill sauce. Every spring people are asking for young beet leaves, they are the most tender.The recipe in the link uses frozen dough, we make our own.

1 Like

My indoor Calamondin has started to bloom, I walked by it in the afternoon and noticed the scent of the flower before I saw it.

8 Likes

I will try these! They sound delicious!

1 Like

Some minor foliar damage from the hail and heavy rain on the figs at my house. It beat up the fruit set on my Northcountry blueberry too.

I haven’t checked for damage on the mountain yet.

We had 7 inches of rain fall within 3 hrs, and have had more since. Lots more coming tonight too. Crazy.

2 Likes

I’m consistently harvesting about 12 large berries a day. They are tart when they first turn dark burgundy and almost black. I found that they should be left to get completely black to get them sweet. I’m very impressed with the canes, the size of the berries and the production of PAF. But, the taste is good not great and I hate the size of the seeds. I guess that is the draw back of such a large berry. It’s really impressive to visitors that see these things sitting on the vines!

12 Likes

We have some apricot fruitlets hanging on for the first time ever! There are a ton of them developing on the Harglow. We’ll see if any make it to maturity. This one is on a Westcot.

11 Likes

It looks like PC has gone through my apricots. The big ones all have smiling face on them. I sprayed the apricot, pear, peach and plum, cherry trees just to make sure PC is somewhat under controlled.
I also checked my stink bug trap, it seems working, stink bugs are trapped inside.

8 Likes

where did you get that? i had a infestation of stinkbugs in my strawberries last summer.

Not sure from True Value or Ace hardware.

1 Like

I had some significant dieback this winter on my Intrepid, Challenger, and Carolina Gold peaches.

One of my dad’s trees did too. Not sure which of those 3 NCSU peaches this one is. He lost the tag and I forgot too.

I guess sub -20F will do that to 2nd leaf peaches.

It isn’t all bad though, I get a second chance to pick scaffolds. I pinched out some of the shoots I don’t want today.

Excuse the clutter. It is the neighbors.

3 Likes

I transplanted Loring (on Lovell) and Harmony (on Halford) last November to make way for other plants. Bad idea. I killed them both. Loring had been growing really well, too. Shame on me.

Plum or pluot seedlings. Could be Emerald Beaut, could be Flavor King, not sure because they got mixed up at some point. Either way both could have delicious offspring! The seeds were from Frog Hollow Farm fruit.

2 Likes

My Contender got hit hard as did many, many other trees. I’ve been pruning back hard to get low growth.

I have a duck with a nest in my front yard. lots of eggs. I only noticed it when i was weeding…super hidden. My wife was talking to it and it hissed at her. I live a ways from water so when these things hatch…they have a hike in front of them

8 Likes

My only cherry. A Tieton

11 Likes

I broke down and bought a dehydrator. I think this will be very good for my storage needs and to have edible snacks at hand for the endless hours i spend on the road instead of high fat high carb. high heart attack snacks you can get at Gas stations!!

Enjoy all your homemade dried favorites and have them last longer without spoilage

Dehydration is the healthiest, easiest, and most economical way to preserve foods. Load the trays and set the temperature, the dries the contents of all trays evenly so everything’s done at once.

UNIQUE HEAT DISTRIBUTION – DRIES FOOD EVENLY
The machine is equipped with a rear-mounted drying fan and air flow circulation technology to promote even drying without overheating, with no need to rotate the shelves.

DIGITAL SET TIMER AND TEMPERATURE
Preset adjustable thermostat and timing helps you choose your right temperature from 95°F to 158°F (with 9 num.increments) you can set at night before going to bed and wake up to the sweet scent of dehydrated fruits and vegetables in the morning

Features
Automatic shut off when timer is done
Transparent door allows you to easy monitor progress
Large capacity with 10 trays you can have more than 13 LB of food dehydrate at once
Overheating safety protection
Drip tray collects any residue from drying process

Includes
:ballot_box_with_check: 10 Stainless steel height adjustable racks()
:ballot_box_with_check: 10 fine mesh sheet
:ballot_box_with_check: 5 nonstick Fruit Leather sheets
:ballot_box_with_check: 1 set oven mitts

Specifications
:diamonds:Dehydrator Type: Shelves
:diamonds:Air Flow: Horizontal (back to front)
:diamonds:Temperature Range: 95°F to 167°F (with 9 num.increments)
:diamonds:Number of Trays: 10
:diamonds:Housing: Stainless steel
:diamonds:Expandable: No
:diamonds:Timer: Yes
:diamonds:Thermostat: Yes
:diamonds:Wattage: 1000 watts
:diamonds:Warranty: 1-year Limited

13 Likes