When should I pot these into larger containers?

Here are my rooted pear trees. There are three varieties. I don’t know when to transfer them. What kind of soil should I use?

2 Likes

If they are well rooted,they can be transferred anytime.I’d use something like a 5-1-1 mix(5 parts Conifer bark mulch-1 part Peat moss-1 part Perlite or Pumice) in a container or plant them straight in the ground.Water in well and give some shade at the beginning.
How were they propagated? Brady

I just knocked the bottom, added rooting hormone, and potted them in sand.

Are you sure they have roots and not just stored energy from the cutting ?

Pull up gently on them. If they move they don’t have roots yet. If they are rooted I would still wait a few weeks before moving them based on the way they look now.

They didn’t have any roots when I potted them. They all came to me with no flowers. I. haven’t checked the roots.

Chances are they are not rooted then. In my opinion you should leave them alone until you are sure they developed roots (showing root tips at the bottom of the container).

2 Likes

The leaves are all new. They just sprouted over the last month or so.

If they survived another 3 weeks plus that one month of leafed out already then they are rooted. I don’t think stored energy will keep the leaves green for 2 months.

Tony

2 Likes

I hope they have rooted for you. I would look for growth similar to what you see when you graft to help confirm you have roots. When I see a stem with several leaves and leaves growing out to normal size you know it can’t be stored energy, keep us posted. I find starting hard wood cuttings very interesting especially pears

For comparison these are my recently put hardwood cuttings. They went in at the 12. of march. All leaves developed after I put them in. Those leaves are only from the ressources of the cuttings. You can already see some are fading others still look healthy. From experience I know none of them has rooted now. I at least have to wait until june. They stop growing after putting out the first set of leaves. If they then are starting to grow again you can be fairly sure they are rooted. I then wait another month before potting them up. Sometimes I even wait until dormancy to disturb their rootes. I had some losses when potting up too early after rooting last year.
Those are btw only leftover scions from my last round of grafting. One row of plums. I don’t expect them to root at all. If they do, fine. Other rows are kiwiberries. Those root fairly easy. I didn’t put them into a fog chamber cause I actually don’t need more plants. Wasn’t able to throw them away. If they root I give them away for free to friends.Uploading…

Uploading didn’t work, so I try again.

4 Likes

Those look great. Did you repot them yet?

1 Like

Hello,
no I didn’t though with most of the kiwiberries I could. They should have developed sufficient roots by now. But we have very hot weather right now. Plus I don’t want to disturb the possible rooting of cuttings that didn’t root yet.
I took another picture this morning. As you can see the two rows in the back are doing fine. The row in the front not so much. Those are plum cuttings. Some are still hanging on but I don’t have much hope for them. Nonetheless I am happy about the result since I did nothing more than water them and shield away some direct sun. Didn’t cover them with plastic or anything. No rooting hormone too. Its another proof for the ease of rooting cuttings from kiwiberries.

1 Like

How are your cuttings doing?

1 Like