When You know you should be grafting but you're not yet!

Have done a few W&T grafts of pecan/hickory on potted rootstocks.
Have not yet done any apples/pears… but might try a few today… seeing callery pears around the countryside beginning to bloom now, and the little seedling Siberian crab at the end of the blackberry trellis is leafing out.

5 Likes

We were warm today and Saturday is supposed to be 68 :smiley: I think I’ll try to graft some Saturday. I’m going to do 2 batches of everything, because it is still cooler than usual most days this coming week.

I’m also going to try chip buds with dormant wood like you use for grafting this time of year. I read that you can do that! At the very least it gives me more tries.

Have had likes on this topic lately but dont worry your not alone!

1 Like

Lol…we have a low in Middle Georgia of 31 this Tuesday night. Otherwise I would be grafting this weekend…

2 Likes

This is the first day of the year to reach 70F,but when going outside,my neighbor’s cat looked at me weirdly,so I took that as a sign to wait.
Actually,the temps are suppose to drop 20-30 degrees in a few days.
There’s time.

3 Likes

My root stocks aren’t even scheduled to ship until the end of April.

3 Likes

Just got mine last week and put them in the fridge! It’s 26F here right now.

4 Likes

Many of my jujubes are already green. Grafted a few a couple of weeks ago and then sat in the cold and wind last weekend and did a few more. This weekend is cold and raining :grimacing:. They will be fully leafed out before I get to them……
Highs in the 60-70’s, lows in the high 40’s and 50’s. Good grafting temps….horrible grafting weather.

4 Likes

@k8tpayaso

Are you sure your in Texas and not Kansas because between the fireblight and weather they sound like the same place sometimes.

4 Likes