Where to find PF peach varieties

AFAIK, Vaughn will sell to individuals.

As far as Guardian rootstock, I’m not sure where you are, but I’m in Georgia and it’s pretty much the only rootstock the extension recommends to combat PTSL. Georgia has plenty of clay, so I’m assuming it’s fine for that, but you might want to check the recommendations of your state extension.

As others mention, there are lots of good quality peaches for a type of Midwest climate b/t Desiree and Redhaven. Mamunag is right, Paul Friday has done an excellent job at marketing, but there are lots of other good quality peaches to fill those spots, as well as others.

Commercial growers and nurseries know that many Paul Friday’s varieties are hyped, which is why many commercial nurseries don’t carry but only a few of the Flamin’ series varieties. He is a super marketer. I take a lot of what his Website says in the context of his marketing.

As an example, I’ve noticed in the past Paul Friday praising some of his varieties which are prone to set a light crop as a great “plant and pick” varieties - no thinning needed. At the same time he’s praised some of his other varieties which set very heavy as superior because they have plenty of fruit set to offset late frosts. He markets the advantages of any variety (like any good marketer) with such enthusiasm, they all sound great, even if they have opposite attributes.

I once read him criticize growers who planted Redhaven in an article, as if it was foolish, and as if there were many better choices for that slot (implying his varieties were superior) but most commercial growers know there is still no better commercial choice for that slot. For commercial growers it’s still the touch stone for that slot.

Again I’m not trying to denounce PF varieties in any sense. Paul Friday has done a great service to the peach industry with his breeding program, but he’s pushed all his varieties with equal fervor, regardless of their merit in comparison to other good quality peaches.

1 Like

You mention the hole between Desiree and Redhaven. I plan to plant the following to fill that hole:

Sugar May
Arctic Glo
Garnet Beauty (an early sport of Redhaven)
Glenglo

Thanks for a all the suggestions. I think I need to be patient and wait until 2018 to fill the holes in my Peach Tree mini-Orchard. It seems as this is not a good year to buy peach trees and I was late to buy. I will be content with what I do have on order, and I am going to try cherries again after trying years ago (all trees died) so that should keep me busy.

Spud,
Where are you located?

Knowing your area, people would have a better idea what diseases and bugs you will be dealing with. To me, for peaches, the list of trouble seems endless, where I am :disappointed:

I’ve been perusing various sites for peach trees for months, and they just don’t seem to have a lot to pick from. I usually go to Cummins, Adams County, Starks, and others and they just don’t have and haven’t had a lot of peach trees in inventory.

@Olpea, you mentioned there’s a shortage of peach trees, why is that? Bad weather, disease, both?

I am located near Lynchburg, Virginia. Campbell County Virginia. I have one tree that is around 5 plus years old that has produced a few peaches. No disease that I know of. I have 7 or 8 more that are one to two years old (years after I planted them). I have gotten Elberta Peaches, which I love. Elberta trees are the fastest growing trees out all of them. I will spray this year for the first time as preventive. My biggest worry is frost - got all of my blooms last year except a Contender tree, and the dozen or so peaches rotted from the never ending spring rain we had.

You are in good company. There are quite a few forum members live near you, I believe. They will be able to share their peach growing experience and expertise with you.

For the first few years of fruiting my peaches were totally fine, few bugs or diseases. After five years of fruiting I had a nightmare on my hands with bugs, spot and rot. I was spraying but not very well. You definitely want to start spraying now.

Subdood,

It’s been quite a while since I read it, and I’m having a hard time remembering. I don’t think it was disease or bad weather. I’m thinking the main reason was an increase in demand and nurseries are having a hard time keeping up. Perhaps it was also that some big nurseries closed down. I know Columbia Basin closed a few years ago.

I also know big nurseries have changed their models some. They are taking more pre-orders (before trees are even grafted) and less general grafting. Big nurseries don’t like grafting trees they don’t have orders for, because they may not be able to sell them. I’ve heard it said in the nursery business, if you graft too many trees, at the end of the shipping season, you either have a fire sale, or a bon fire. Neither of which is very profitable.

This is happening to me, Not just stone fruit! I’m adjusting to it though and did well this year, somehow? My peach trees were 4th leaf this last season…PC found me this year, I lost only one fruit, yet every nectarine had crescent scars. I did something right??
@SpudDaddy, a lot of peaches have been reviewed here, you may find others that fit your needs. Just ask what we think of the cultivar and we will tell you! Well many anyway!

1 Like

Both ACNursery and Grandpa’s Orchard have added more Peach Trees if anyone is interested. Not the varieties I wanted.

Has anyone heard of Clifton Nursery, they sell potted trees so they are expensive. Most of the late season peach varieties they sell I cannot find from other nurseries. Trees like Autumn Marble, Autumn Marvel, etc. I found a local orchard that grows Fairtime peaches but of course they are out of that variety. Also a little worried these trees may be not grow so well on the east coast (Clifton is in California). . Any opinions?

My trees from California are doing fine. Getting them here at a decent time, at least with bare root was a problem, being potted, is not. It’s kinda ironic last season the tree I got from Michigan lost all it’s fruit buds to a late freeze. The ones from California fruited, and fruited very well for 4th leaf trees. I got 66, 61, and 71 fruits off those California trees.

I ordered Fairtime from Cumberland Valley Nursery of Tennessee. It’s due to arrive this spring. See the forum’s Nurseries thread for info on CVN.

The trees out of Calif are usually the best the world has to offer, in terms of grown-out quality, but they did just pull out of their worst drought in recorded history, so not sure last year’s growth will be quite as good, but it may yet be, with the wonders of modern irrigation.

How do you find out which varieties they carry? Looks like they are wholesale and Facebook only?

Scroll down the thread to… here:

http://www.growingfruit.org:8000/t/nurseries-list/7060/13

How many trees did you order what did it cost? I called Vaughns but for some reason did not order from them.