White Winter Pearmain

In the foreground is my young White Winter Pearmain on M-111 rootstock. “White” refers to the flesh color and “Winter” refers to it being a good keeper.

8 Likes

Loaded. :smiley:

10 Likes

Today I harvested about 1/4 of them. The tree is also putting out blossoms for a winter crop. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ve been considering adding WWP to my fall tree order, how is the taste? Would you put in your top 10 apple varieties?

Yes. I only have room for two apples so I chose Gordon and WWP. However, check with folks in your climate beforehand.

8 Likes

Thanks for posting Richard, I just bench grafted on of these last night!

1 Like

beautiful tree. wonder how it would do in Florida?

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/white-winter-pearmain-apple

2 Likes

Thanks…looks like it might be successful down here.

It bears heavily here in Southern California, but the taste and texture are meh compared to the mountain-grown ones. Yellow Newtown Pippin has a lot of the same qualities but is much better in our heat.

1 Like

good info. Thanks @applenut. I’ll add that to my list of desired scion wood…

Your summers must be warmer than mine. I’d love to grow a Pippin but in this location they rarely ripen.

That’s interesting. There are quite a few of them way up here in cool coastal Marin County, and they ripen fine. I inherited one when I bought my house here, and while it’s pretty late - I let the fruit hang into the winter - it’s very good.

Yes, we can hit 113F here in September, beating out Saudi Arabia and Libya for the day’s high temp.

Pippins?

we can hit 93F here in a September Santa Ana event.

Yep, Albemarle Pippin. Lots were put in around here forty or fifty years ago, along with Golden Delicious, Winter Banana, and (of course) Gravenstein. We also inherited an old Stayman, which does great here.

1 Like

I’m planning on being in Marshall in about a month’s time.

1 Like

That’s barely a stone’s throw from here. PM sent.

1 Like

After today’s pruning …

5 Likes