Who's growing the Xinjiang Fragrant Pear?

Is the Xinjiang Fragrant Pear being grown in the United States? See these links

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 answered this in this post Lantai Jululi aka Fragrant pear. I was unaware of the older post.

I also have a few seedlings growing from pears bought at the local market that were imported from Xinjiang. One has fruited and its very tasty but too gritty. I think Tony did not like the fruit on his Lantai, it was too gritty as well. Mine has flowers for the first time this year. These pears need to be kept in storage until March and part of the issue may be we are not storing them for long enough.

1 Like

I had tasted some fragrant pears from the market. I am not sure if it is xinjiang Fragrant Pear. It is the best tasty pear in the Market in China. Last year, my friend sent me scions of Yulu Fragrant pear and I grafted on my tree. Yulu Fragrant is a hybrid of Xinjiang Fragrant pear and Xuehua pear. It keeps the taste of Xinjiang Fragrant pear, but bigger.

2 Likes

Hi Clark,

My Lantai Jujuli fruited last year and the fruit is a little gritty. I didn’t know that it needs to be stored for several months before consumption. It was good but I didn’t like the gritty texture. The Lantai Jujuli has lots of flower buds right now. I will store all the fruits this time around and hopefully the quality is the same as Asian market Fragrant pear. Btw, you can eat Yali right off the tree.

Tony

1 Like

Do you have picture of Lantai jujuli? I ate Fragrant pear in
Dec in China. I don’t think it needs to store for several months. Yulu Fragrant pear is the pear king in
China now. I grafted Yulu to my big flowering pear tree. The tallest branch is over 6 feet, but no flowers this year.

1 Like

I did not take the photo of the Lantai Jujuli fruits last October. I will take some this coming fall. Scott, Sophia, here are the photos of Korla Fragrant pear in China. Is your Trees leaves and fruits even look similar to the ones in China?

Tony

6 Likes

Went ahead and grafted a branch of Lantai this year. @tonyOmahaz5 how long does it take to fruit?

1 Like

It took 4 years for it to bloom and one fruit last year. I am hoping to get the new Fragrant pear that Jason grafted this year that looked like an apple. Did you graft any Yali last year? They are very crunch, light, juicy, and mildly sweet. You can eat it right off the tree. I got 4 trees and my relatives go after them first. I can eat 4 of them in minutes on a hot day.

Tony

6 Likes

Yes I grafted several ya li but they are small trees. New rootstocks take a long time. I added a few branches here and there this year on larger trees.

2 Likes

My supposed Lantai Jujuli fruited this year and … it seems to be a Bartlett-like pear! Its an excellent pear so I will keep it but I have no idea how that happened. At some point I moved the graft and I may have gotten it mixed up at that point. @tonyOmahaz5, I assume your Lantai which I think I sent you did not look like Bartlett in shape? It was from the original and not the moved tree. Here is a picture

I went through my pears I had at the time and could not find a match so I really don’t know what it is. It looks something like Packham’s Triumph but I never had that pear. I also never had Bartlett in my orchard. It was originally grafted together with Louise Bonne de Jersey on the same stock but I have another graft of that and the pears look different. But it could be due to location.

4 Likes

Scott,

Your Lanti Jujuli looked exactly like mine from the USDA Corvallis. They tasted good but not the Fragrant pear We are after. I think the Corvallis got the wrong label on the tree that they Harvested the scions from. The descriptions of Lanti Jujuli from their website is the fragrant pear.

Tony

3 Likes

Yes that sounds right. The leaves never looked anything like asian or even asian cross pear leaves, right from when I first grafted the pear from Corvallis. That always puzzled me but it looks like we have the answer now.

3 Likes

Oh no I too am growing Lanti Jujul as mentioned from another source which may have came to me by way of the same sources. Well it looks like a great pear anyway! Wonder what it is!

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am from Eatonville, WA. and have been lurking this particular thread for a long time while researching for other growers of the Chinese Fragrant Pear. There is very little information about this pear. The information available are very vague. Based on the available data, I assumed the tree is true and not a hybrid so I decided to start my tree from the seeds of the actual store bought fruit. Then I Bud grafted them onto Pyrus betulaefolia root stock. The graft was 6 years ago and I have this tree 8 feet from a Ya li of the same age. 2015 the Ya li blossomed but the Frag did not; the result was no Ya li fruit. 2016 both the Ya li and the Frag blossomed but no fruits produced from both trees. These two trees blossom very early compared to my Japanese and European pears so I was thinking about the lack of insects and the chilling spring rain. 2017 both the Ya li and the Frag blossomed vigorously and produced lots of fruitlets but they all fallen off by late April. Today while working on the garden I looked over at the Fragrant pear tree to analyze this year’s pruning and a fruit. I looked all around and found a total of 4 fruits. These fruits are larger than the Fragrant pear and felt very hard. They look more like a Quince. I will try and take some pics when the rain stops. My conclusion is the Fragrant pear is a hybrid therefore it can not be grown from seeds. It has to be grafted from true scions. Ya li is not a pollinator because the Ya li never produced fruits. I was going to plant a Seuri this fall hoping it would mate well with the Frag since both fruits are similar in shape. Pics coming soon.

6 Likes

New Zealand published this interesting import document related to this pear someone may find extremely useful http://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/2884. Be prepared the document is really a book that consists of over 400 pages. It does have some specifics about disease and the pear itself.

2 Likes

Pears don’t come true to seed in general, but for these pears it depends what kind of pollinators they are putting in the orchards. Also make sure you put them in the fridge until March after picking, they are supposed to be rock-hard until then. My fragrant pear seedlings also didn’t have the shape of fragrant pears but they were hard like them. If they were not so gritty they would have been good pears.

5 Likes

Here are some pics of the fruit and the leaves taken 9/20/17.
The fruits are about 2X-3X the size of the store bought fruits and they are rock hard unlike the crisp juicy market variety.
Definitely a throwback of a hybrid so not worth growing since I am seeking to grow the exact market fruits (crisp and juicy).
Since the tree produced only 5 quince-like fruits while it’s Yali mate produced none, I am suspecting the two pears are not compatible pollinating partners. This tree is most likely compatible with a quince because my neighbor have quince about 10000 yards away.
So now I’m starting over.
Who and where have the true small crisp juicy market Fragrant Pears?

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes