Wildlife in our gardens

We count on them here to control the rodent population. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is Florida green anole, the only anole species native to the state… we’ve got them everywhere. This one was in my grapefruit tree.

12 Likes

Redtail Hawk, afternoon hunting from nearby telephone pole.

14 Likes

Those are the primary raptor around here

They can take squirrels - I wish they’d work on that more

5 Likes

The smaller raptors – Cooper’s, Sharp-shinned, Merlins, Kestrels – are more adept at catching squirrels.

1 Like

Here’s a visitor which rarely shows his face in the open. I hear them often but they’re always hidden in dense shrubbery.

Northern Mockingbird.

Dax

10 Likes

I call them nature’s garbagemen…There was a entire committee (it’s what a group of vultures hanging around are called, had to look that one up) feasting on a dead raccoon just down the street. These were some huge birds.

7 Likes

One raccoon won’t go too far in that crowd

2 Likes

no it won’t…I need go see what’s left…probably not much…

1 Like

Probably just bones. We have sooooooo many vultures here nothing lasts but a day or so. I call it the Florida State Bird…I’ve been up and very close to these guys. They are even bigger in close proximity to them. Just huge! You are in Jax. aren’t you?

Well it looks like the only thing left is the fur and bones…pretty amazing how quickly they cleaned it up…yeah I’m over in Jax.

1 Like

They come here in early spring and leave in the fall. You can tell as soon as they leave, the road kill lasts longer.

1 Like

Our back yard on Christmas day 2017.

14 Likes

Wow Vincent you received alot. We had more of a dusting that didn’t stay long. What a nice treat for the holidays.

1 Like

Cold winter good for fruit tree in next coming season as well Quill.

1 Like

18 Likes

Great pics, Richard

Janet photographed the siblings hunting today :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Vincent,

That staked tree to the left has a tie on it that’s constricting your tree.

Dax

5 Likes

Sharp eyes, Dax!

2 Likes