Wildlife in our gardens

Scrub Jay perched on a brazilian pepper tree.

7 Likes

Purple finch

8 Likes

And cardinals, In a wild rose bush , my wife took these with a new lens I bought her for Christmas

6 Likes

And a jay

13 Likes

Blue jays are unquestionably one of the pretties of all songbird but boy are they arseholes. lol. My neighbor feeds birds all winter long and it’s comical to watch the blue jays strut in there and direct traffic around the feeder. Even the cardinals are easily intimidated by the jays.

3 Likes

only the crows and ravens put them in their place. I’ve heard they destroy other birds nests!

Out here it is the western orioles that out them in their place. Not that the orioles are bossy – they just won’t put up with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Years ago I witnessed a red tailed hawk capture and devour a blue jay. Talk about a racket.

4 Likes

Crow vs. Hawk

7 Likes

I’ve seen red tails scare off crows that were mobbing smaller raptors, pretty neat that they look out for the little guys.

3 Likes

Janet captured the following on her camera today … an incoming bee, a Gulf Fritillary butterfly on Cleveland’s Sage, and a Monarch butterfly with Ladybug on yellow milkweed :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Two hummingbirds sharing one of our fountains this morning :slight_smile:

15 Likes

14 Likes

Spectacular photos @Richard. Please don’t tell me those photos were taken with a smart phone.:smile:

2 Likes

Janet took them with her Pentax. The lens was at 2-6m and shutter speed 2000.

6 Likes

Hummingbird peek-a-boo :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

28 Likes

Yikes, I was expecting a photo of a bird. Cool photo though

1 Like

That would keep me out of my orchard! Who do you call? Or do you just shoot?

1 Like

They don’t stay long, only once was a warning shot required. Generally, it means you have to stop feeding the birds, they love the seed. That and I have to be sure to take my compost bucket to the compost pile regularly.

4 Likes