Wildlife in our gardens

Giant swallotail larvae

7 Likes

Opossum in Seattle.03.28.2018

10 Likes

Glad he’s not on my tree. In Maine they they would strip my trees of bark!

2 Likes

Around here they eat grubs, chase away rats (sworn enemies), and don’t do much damage.

2 Likes

Around here they are supposed to eat ticks! And that is worth them being around!!!

2 Likes

Very slow animal. She normally gets around at night but I saw her daytime today. She was not hurt any of my plants just make my dogs crazy. I tried to keep all dogs away from her.

4 Likes

When frightened and have space to run – or when chasing a rat – they can run very fast. Otherwise they just plod along … :heart:

4 Likes

we have a lot of skunks that dig on the lawns, eating junebug grubs. people get angry and trap them. i just put the clod of grass back and thank them for aerating my lawn and saving it from these grubs. i run into them often in the evening . they just walk on by with barely a glance. i enjoy watching them forage under the street light. even the cat touches noses with them and its all good!

4 Likes

The dog had a very unpleasant encounter with a skunk about a year ago in our backyard. It was a summer morning and everyone’s windows around us were open for the morning breeze, so they also were able to enjoy the smells.

I was able to experiment with various internet tomato sauce remedies. Shadow was one very miserable dog for awhile there.

1 Like

I’ve known more than one dog who got sprayed, then recovered, then broadsided any other dog on the property who started chasing a skunk. They don’t want to smell that ever again!

2 Likes

Just think how bad a skunk must smell to predators that have a nose 10 to a hundred times the nose of ours. I don’t think they have any natural predators.

Vinegar.

1 Like

ours got sprayed 2xs in a week! he got it so bad it smelled like burnt rubber. didn’t take me long to make a fenced in area to keep the dogs in and skunks out!

2 Likes

7E72940B-EE00-4586-AB84-79D9DBD7357C

15 Likes

Female Merlin [corrected] on telephone pole :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

When it comes to dogs and skunks I have two labs for bird hunting, one old male and one young female. The old male has to kill absolutely EVERY skunk he comes across and has been that way for years. When he gets sprayed you swear it would be the last time with as much of a fuss as he puts up. My female on the other hand absolutely despises skunks and won’t go anywhere near them.

4 Likes

Proud mom Goldfinch in our garden with her young son. She’s hanging out on the metal fountain while her son goes to the circular fountain and takes a bath. :heart:

11 Likes

had to stay home one day with a sick kiddo so i sat out back and messed around with our nikon. Nothing fancy but has a good zoom. This blue bird gave me a look.

19 Likes

Monarch caterpillars on yellow and orange milkweed shrubs :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Male hooded oriole taking a bath :slight_smile:

8 Likes