Wildlife in our gardens

goats are cool! if i had the room, a farmer nearby sells miniature goats. my nieghbor has 3. we go see them all the time.

Goats will eat ALL YOUR PLANTS!!! I love them too but unless I could put up an inescapable fence I wonā€™t have them anywhere near!

1 Like

ive sen goats eat sheet metal and plastic when bored! i totally agree!

2 Likes

Yep, his half-brother has blue eyes too. I like his build better though. He has thicker horns, a thicker frame, and shorter legs. Heā€™s gonna be me future sire for my own line of goats.

I have a ā€œno escapes toleratedā€ policy. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ll say on that matter.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure there is any such thing ha. I have a 5 foot tall goat fence (welded wire with small squared) and running 8 inches about that is an electric wire that shocks HARD. So that is almost 6 feet and topped with a hot wire. The whole fence line on all 4 sides is flush with the ground. Sounds inescapable right? Well, it isnā€™t! Not often, may 2-3 times a year, I have one get out. sometimes I can figure out how they did it, but sometimes the entire parameter is in perfect shape top and bottom and I canā€™t figure it out to save my life. They are magicians. Letā€™s just say if I had your policy, @BambooMan , Iā€™d be short a few goats by now. But I do get the policyā€¦it is almost always the same one or two who are the escape artists. I guess they are the ā€œdreamersā€ who think the grass must be greener on the other side. haha. Funny thing is they usually just stand outside the fence and bellow and cry to get back in! haha.

5 Likes

Is there a tree they can climb out on?

They are beautiful!!!

You solved a couple of the mysterious escapes. there used to be a limb you would swear no 4 legged animal could have climbed-too steep and too small- but sure enough, they would use it to get about the fence top and then they would take a flying jump. And once I had a tree fall against the fence. It didnā€™t hurt the fence to much but I did give the goats a way to get to the top of the fence, then they would jump down to the other side. But this doesnā€™t explain all the escapes. All I can figure on the others is they somehow managed to squeeze thru where the gate sits against the gate post I tie it to. Sounds obvious until you see how small that space is and how large the goats are in comparison. But they are clever magicians!

3 Likes

I found a wad of blackberry leaves all webbed up today. Thinking it might be web worms I tore into it and this is what I found.

I love spiders!!! :heart:

Katy

10 Likes

I know spiders are good guys, but that many of them just made my skin crawlšŸ˜€

2 Likes

Iā€™m with Saraā€¦not a fan, but it was a neat pic!

3 Likes

But theyā€™re just babies!

5 Likes

Now i donā€™t care who ya are! Thatā€™s funnyā€¦

2 Likes

Years ago, had some friends who kept goats. One time when we were standing by the cars and talking, one of the goats went from standing next to us to the top of her station wagon. One jump, from standing in place, no effort. It is very hard to keep animals who can do stuff like that enclosed.

Oh and the other thing, like deer goats are browsers not grazers naturally. And apple and other fruit trees are their favorites.

4 Likes

Saw this snake in my yard yesterday Iā€™m guessing around four feet long by the markings it could be a rat snake?

8 Likes

I would say so too.

2 Likes

It is! My son has a snake in his pond this year, plus a large bullfrog that will probably eat his new fish

1 Like

Carolina anole playing Waldo in a hydrangea by the house

5 Likes

I was walking past the Chickadee bird house today and I heard a chorus of baby chicks! I was wondering when they were going to hatch, it must have been last night during the rainstorm. Both Parents are now working full tilt to feed them and theyā€™re arriving with worms, grubs and other soft insects.

4 Likes