Wildlife in our gardens

Re: the conversation on bears. Probably the best book on the subject (for black bears) is “Out on a Limb” by Benjamin Kilham. He studied and rehabilitated bears. Fascinating stories as well as good info on how to express to bears when they are on your turf and should get out, as well as other info on bear behavior.

https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/out-on-a-limb/

1 Like

raccoons and opossums? Never.

Thank you, just bought it.

It will be an interesting read. I have some handed down training and personal experience with this but it’s always good to read about other encounters.

1 Like

The coyote population has gone down some here it seems anyway. They are the big eastern coyotes and when they go nuts at night after a kill on one side of the woods - yard, then go nuts on the other side in the neighbors it can sound like there is fifty of them! This happened in my own town just a couple miles north of me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DON8Y2m1KzE
They attacked another horse right after this one here too.

3 Likes

That seems more like wolf behavior, or dogs

1 Like

A lot of people are sceptical of what really happened out there. They may be coywolves too, but some people say that they are just eastern wolves. I have seen a lot of coyotes the size of german shepherds in my yard. No matter what when the population was out of control it was very scary at night. I even felt like I need a gun to walk out back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFgzW_kkXE

3 Likes

That’s a very different coyote than ours. Our coyotes spend the day eating mice and run like crazy when a person approaches. Humans hunt coyote here so they have a reason to run. That is much more wolf like behavior in the video than coyote as mentioned. They are not aggressive to humans whatsoever. Kansas coyotes would have eaten those animals because of the people’s ignorance. They are misunderstood because turning dogs on them as people do is sure death for the dog. Coyotes can kill a dog by themselves let alone our packs of 30+ .coyotes They use coyote dogs here that are specifically trained for that job of tracking them but they track their dogs by radio waves never letting them get far away. Coyotes will eat your pet it’s just survival. A good fence keeps the coyotes away from pets and livestock.

2 Likes

I can see how someone could take it that way. According to Florida law and seasoning it appear they do want then all gone. I may be wrong but I do not believe they were native to Florida until the past 15 or so years. Seems the population has migrated east from past protection in the west if my memory serves me correctly. I’m just saying Florida would not have an open season on them if they didn’t want everything one of them you see shot. Pigs are even worse and the state doesn’t even require a license to shoot them. I don’t look at this from a save my fruit trees perspective. I look at the animal population perspective. If I have animals the state protects killing my fruit then I protect my fruit with fence etc. If they don’t then they get shot. Just the way I see it. My fruit is entirely secondary. I am the one who decided to introduce the fruit. Ohh. and the pigs are not even native to North America, Brought here by the Spanish and are now Invasive in many areas and wreaking absolute total destruction in some ares.

1 Like

they come in to eat the gardens!

1 Like

I have Camera shots from a trail cam of some VERY LARGE coyotedogs…They do breed with the local wild dogs and get really big. For the most part they are relatively smallish but viscous none the less and they will eat anything. I know what you mean about being a bit weirded out at night. I have had similar experiences…

in summer they aren’t a problem but in our hard winters, they have killed people here out of hunger. our coyotes are so big they have even killed moose here! some say theyre a cross of the eastern gray wolves that used to be here. nearby quebec still has a gray wolf population that are protected and growing. some say they have already spread here to remote n.w allagash region but it hasnt been confirmed yet. going to be the nail in the coffin for our struggling deer population there!

1 Like

Our deer population has been severely impacted by Coyotes. Not to mention the Farmers with deprecation permits for their crops which quite frankly I think is stupid and they do not adhere to the restrictions on the permits and just shoot them anywhere anytime. Actually pisses me off but in these small country counties the farmers are the county commissioners and good luck talking them out of shooting whatever they want to.

These are all quite recent within 100 yards of my camper

5 Likes

That’s a 139 dollar Moultrie. I’ve been very impressed with it for the money.

2 Likes

Is that a bear?!

1 Like

So far, this deer only came to eat mulberry. Don’t know what would happen when mulberry is gone.

My veggie garden and fruit trees have never been bothered by rabbits, squirrels or chipmunks. I have cats roaming in my yard​:joy::joy:

Only birds will get my peaches if I don’t net my peach trees.

2 Likes

Sure is. Wait till you see this next one. 5 bears together.

3 Likes

I swear I wasn’t lying but for some reason i can’t find the one with all 5. Here are three three adults and there is a picture with two juveniles in there too but I can’t find it! And a few others you might find interesting. I think Florida had a lot of animals people may not realize live here… So…I will stop hijacking this thread now since these guys aren’t in my Garden. Just thought they were interesting and some may enjoy seeing them. FB_IMG_1512833245216|690x388

11 Likes

Indeed. Not even half of it really. I love it…

3 Likes

Thanks for posting all I’d seen of Florida was tourist traps but those don’t live there. Makes Kansas look tame! Lol

2 Likes