Wildlife in our gardens

That bobcat looks quite different from the ones here

3 Likes

I have a picture of one that we debated for weeks if it was actually a Panther. We finally decided it was a Bobcat through logical deductions of height, size, possible spots etc. I was really hoping it was a panther. That would have been an extremely rare Florida picture. maybe even worth money and probably would have brought some University researchers aroundā€¦

2 Likes

On the channel 4 news tonight they reported a coyote killed a deer on someoneā€™s porch in the city! The struggle continued to the driveway and got blood on her car and parts of hyde in the lawn.

1 Like

I have tons more. turkey, Buzzards, pig Etcā€¦I will gladly post but didnā€™t want to be a Thread thiefā€¦LOL. I will post this though and see what you all think. I took this picture of a Whiperwill one night. Someone who just looked at it today says there is a Snake in the

picture. I took the darn thing and canā€™t decide if it is actually a snake!

1 Like

Wow, 3 bears together! Which part of Florida is this? And the others are coyotes? Very impressive!
For people like me living in the suburbs, itā€™s exciting enough just to see a deer or fox.

By the way, for the past two weeks or so, a fox(s) comes to scream every night outside of my house, several times a night. Do anyone know why they do that? What do they want?

1 Like

Iā€™m not so sure about the fox screaming. I would suspect something to do with mating. They are usually very sneaky, quiet animals. Iā€™m just up the road toward I-10 from Lamont Lamont, FL - Lamont, Florida Map & Directions - MapQuest Very far North Florida, Georgia is only 25 miles away. I love seeing all these animals. I spend a lot of time out at night and i see them in person regularly. I really have learned to love the night. Seems everything is amplified by 10 and your senses seem to just naturally ramp up.

2 Likes

As I suspectedā€¦And more http://animals.mom.me/red-fox-scream-5833.html

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a guy in IL who claims he has evidence of wolves in the area - or some kind of canid that isnā€™t the usual coyote. He has lots of webcams set up.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry i didnā€™t answer the entire question. Yes there is a coyote in there but Bobcat alsoā€¦So it goes by picture top to bottom, Bear, bear ,bobcat, 6 raccoons all together, coyote,BIG bear, bobcat in winter, bobcat in late spring.

It is wildlife in your backyard!

1 Like

Thatā€™s trueā€¦LOL. most of my pics. are literally just 100 yards from my 5th. wheel i have up under a Pole Barn, Tractor, equipment everything right there so they arenā€™t that timidā€¦

1 Like

The last bobcat looks so skinny compare with the first one.

I hate raccoons (Iā€™ve said that before). Unlike squirrels and birds, they get ALL your fruit and are very hard to control. As far as coyotes are concerned, Game wardens here in Alabama say ā€œkillā€™em allā€ but I really wonder if they are helping control deer and rodents in suburbs where the city meets the countryside. My neighbors say theyā€™re a lot of coyotes around here but Iā€™ve never see them. See plenty of raccoons though so I hope they get with the program soon!

1 Like

It was a VERY hot Spring that year and it had lost all itā€™s winter fur. Thatā€™s all it is. They may even be the same cat. I do think they areā€¦

1 Like

You may Never see them. But iā€™ would make Odds if you go out calling one night and you are even just barely outside the city you will get a bunch of answers and it very well may shock you. i donā€™t know of anywhere they are not in abundance anymore. Much more in some places than others but still everywhere none the lessā€¦BTWā€¦I do believe i am right in saying the raccoon in a pretty worthy adversary to a coyote. They can be damn wicked and coyotes canā€™t climb trees.

2 Likes

In the 1970ā€™s, some suburb communities of San Diego paid to have gray/silver fox dens relocated to forest preserves. By the 1990ā€™s residents of those communities were scrambling to put up owl boxes to assist with mice/rat/squirrel control. Oops.

3 Likes

Ha! A case of be careful what you ask forā€¦I guess sometimes people just see whatā€™s directly in front of them at the time. Maybe a cooling off period is neededā€¦LOLā€¦I guess you canā€™t always know. Itā€™s a delicate balance. Iā€™m glad we have folks who really study and know how to take all things into consideration now. I donā€™t know about California but Florida seems to strike a very good balance of conservation to managed hunting. I like it anywayā€¦

2 Likes

A terrible update on my quail nestā€¦It was right on the border of my land and my neighbors land. He was trying to be nice and made an extra pass with his lawn mower over on my side. You can guess the restā€¦yepā€¦ mowed right over the quail nest!!! But waitā€¦all hope is not lost. Amazing as it may sound, the mower was high enough that it didnā€™t actually hit the eggs and the wheels didnā€™t roll over them either- so the eggs were still there. However, because it is now in short grass, mom abandon it- it checked several times that day and that night and she didnā€™t come back.

I was so excited about having some new quail here that I decided this couldnā€™t be the end of the story. So I took them all (there were 14 by then) and have them in my incubator now. I candeled them and they hadnā€™t started to form at all, which means that going without momā€™s warmth for a day or two probably didnā€™t hurt them. Once she starts sitting and the embryo forms, they canā€™t get cold, but before that they can and it looks like that is when I caught them. My incubator probably wonā€™t have as high a hatch % as mom would have, but if I get just one chick to be born and I raise it till it can be safely released, it will be well worth it. Plus, it will be fun watching them hatch.

11 Likes

Kevin,

Please keep us updated about your effort. Canā€™t wait to see baby quail being hatched.

Keep up the good work, Mama quail!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah keep us posted. Start a Babbeh Quail thread.
I fostered a grackle last yr. fed it with suet, cat food and small bit of mealworms in a slurry then as semi solid

Best of luck hope they do well

1 Like