William's Pride apple - is it good?

My WP look more like Mamuangs. Very dark, but we get some pretty intense sun here.

This year my WP got a lot of sunken spots on the skin. I know I’ve seen this before in articles, but I’ve forgotten what causes it. Here is a pic of one with spots not too bad, but most of my WP apples have more severe sunken spots. Can anyone tell me what causes this?

2 Likes

Mark,
It is so dark, I can’t make it out.:slight_smile: i don’t remember having this issue.

I had some similar damage on my WP. Also lots on my Pristine. The Pristine trees with the damaged apples had a lot of leaf damage from RAA. I believe the source of the problem is BMSB, RAA or perhaps bitter pit. The damages look similar. I hoped to avoid biter pit by adding calcium to the cover sprays and WP is known to have bitter pit problems.

My WP looked like some of these pictures:

http://blogs.cornell.edu/jentsch/2014/09/18/bmsb-update-assessing-fruit-damage-at-harvest-is-it-hail-bitter-pit-apple-maggot-or-stink-bug/

1 Like

Thank you very much blueberry. Bitter pit was what I couldn’t think of. We don’t have BMSB here yet and I’ve sprayed enough to prevent SB and apple maggot.

Ate my one and only Williams Pride today. It was excellent, with a very sweet taste with tanginess mixed in for a nice balance and flavor profile. My wife had a couple bites and she agreed it was very good.

4 Likes

We had our first good apple of the season tonight! William’s Pride is truly outstanding for such an early season apple even if it’s a little on the sharper side.

No comparison to average grocery store Gala apples!

8 Likes

It’s a good Apple for late summer. I grow Gravenstein, Pristine, Zestar and WP. If I had to get rid of one Pristine would be it, too sweet for me compared to the others.

mine are tiny this year.

5 Likes

The one I ate today was a lot better than the last time. It restored my confidence in WP.

I like sweet apples. If you have not remove it, I’d love to ask for Pristine scionwood in the winter, please.

3 Likes

Yes, I may have some this winter.

1 Like

Williams Pride is relatively new to my orchard but I have had a couple that I think was ripened properly and they are very good.

1 Like

I got lots of WP apples this year. Very good apples, and they ripened over a long period. They get much milder the longer they’re left on the tree. The only complaint, like I mention previously, is the tough skin.

2 Likes

If I am still here you can come and cut whatever you like!

1 Like

For me, the ones that smelled good tasted great. The ones with no aroma were under ripe and did not have peak flavor. My neighbors probably think im nuts out there smelling them!

6 Likes

I find the fruit of WP easy to determine ripeness. If the tree is open enough for fruit to get good light, ripe fruit turns a beautiful dark burgundy and background color from green to yellow. It lifts easily from the tree with a clean stem separation. But the smell test sounds like a heightened level of intimacy with your tree, which has to be a good thing.

3 Likes

I don’t have good sense of smell. I’ve tried to smell a Red Gravenstein to determine its ripeness. Did not smell a thing and a fruit is quite red.

1 Like

Mine drops 2-3 apples a day. When I cut it open, seeds were dark. They are ripe but I can’t smell any aroma!!

!

From last evening and this morning. If I am not fast picking them up, groundhogs and squirrels will take them.

2 Likes

Does yours have any red flesh?

1 Like

Do you mean WP that has redness mixed in its flesh?

Yes that is what In was referring to. I know WP is not a true red fleshed apple like grenadine but for many people it does have some red tint in its flesh near the skin. I think I got WP scions from you a few years back. Mine hasn’t flowered yet. Maybe next year.

I will check. I did not pay attention when I ate them :grin: