Wineberries

When my brother and I planted a garden about 20 years ago he bought some wineberry plants, it din’t take long to realize that most of the weeds we removed were wineberries!

I read they were introduced for breeding, does anyone know of any hybrids?

1 Like

I’ve got a bunch of poison oak that needs it’s soul devoured! Blackberries seem to be a companion plant for poison ivy , sumac and oak.

1 Like

No but on the what’s happening thread Figerama posted photo of Dorman Red raspberry and they look like they have wineberry in them, check it out. Looking on the net, they don’t look like that. Hmm?

1 Like

My new wineberries are happy! About half died and the others like Kansas!

3 Likes

About half the wineberries lived and look pretty promising.

2 Likes

these are some of the best berries i’ve had

2 Likes

I’ve considered planting one, but I’m not doing it until I finish my fruit cage. I do NOT want to set loose something that quite literally has it’s picture on the cover of the Invasive Species pamphlet at the local extension office.

2 Likes

Thought someone might enjoy this old article from 1982 before the wineberries were considered unfavorable by many http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/picking-and-preserving-the-wineberry-zmaz82jazgoe

1 Like

My wineberries are doing great! Think I will order more! They are thriving in there less than ideal conditions.

1 Like

Order more?! The ones already planted will have taken over your acreage, and the rest of the state of Kansas, before the next two years elapse.

See marker 2:40 for what they’ll look like:

1 Like

To me, they do not even come close in taste to a great ‘Caroline’ raspberry. They do not even taste like raspberries to me.

2 Likes

I need to dig one soon if you want any more, pretty sure some canes touched down and rooted… I let it go for 2 years and it spread about 6 ft.

1 Like

Matt,
I don’t think they will grow that agrresively here in Kansas.

Mrsg47,
I think they taste pretty good but maybe different ones have a different flavor.

Hoosierbanana,
Hopefully they do that good here. I would love to take some if you want to get rid of them. I was thinking of ordering another 50 plants and growing them in a row.

1 Like

I wonder if you will see any difference in plants from different sources? I haven’t seen much variation.

1 Like

All of the plants I ordered came from oikos. Going to split an order of 50 with a friend and grow them in a row. We will see what they do over the next couple of years. I think these berries will be highly sought after here. All my produce is as good as sold before I even produce it next year. I’ve struck a deal with a large local Kansas food company. If you start seeing aronia in some Kansas juices and other beverages you will know where it’s coming from. I need to be creative with what I grow here due to limitations nature imposed on us here. What’s an invasive elsewhere is a mild mannered plant here. If plants are not tough they simply are not going to survive. Some of my land is so challenging to use even callery pear died there. I’m trying wild species of callery pears there now that come with their own set of unique problems. The 1 acre area has standing water just under the surface soil which is clay for over a month out of the year. The clay soil mix is highly alkaline soil. What I did in that scenario is dug up wild callery in a location where there is constant standing water. Sometimes we need to be resourceful and creative or be prepared to give up 1 acre of space to grow fruit. Similarly I had some solid clay areas where nothing grew historically but I grew blackberries plants that could use those minerals and it’s one of the best berry patches I have now.

3 Likes

Huh. Wineberry is quite literally the cover image for the local pamphlet about invasive species here in central Virginia.

2 Likes

What Clark said.

1 Like

Started clearing the planting area for the new wineberries today.

4 Likes

You doing that with a riding mower? Those weeds look really tall for a mower. I’d have to take a bush hog thru something like that!

1 Like

The area is not really big enough for my brush hog. The weeds are easier to cut through though than a lawn with lots of clover. Definitely see your point though in an ideal world there would be a better tool for the job. Got a row of wineberries in yesterday and mulched prior to the rain yesterday. Today it feels cold since yesterday was so warm. Thanks to the kindness of a member that I will leave unnamed my wineberry patch should be a nice one! Oikos wineberries arrived at the same time which should give me enough for a couple of rows.

5 Likes