Yellow Japanese Plums

Are there any yellow Japanese plums besides Shiro that ripen to a golden yellow WITHOUT a red blush?

I’ve been suspicious of my Shiro ever since it first fruited. The fruit has never ripened before mid August. I thought it was just a consequence of environmental conditions, but this year it is even later. The fruit is just starting to turn yellow from a greenish yellow. Most descriptions indicate a ripening time in July, even for northern growers. I remember looking up the nursery, the first year it fruited, to see if they had any other yellow plums, but Shiro was the only one. So I accepted that it must be Shiro as indicated. It is a very early bloomer, the fist thing to bloom in the landscape. However, I couldn’t find info on the relative bloom time for Shiro.

FYI, Satsuma has been ripening in the last week of August, which is close to the expected time for my location. Unfortunately I don’t have any on the tree this year to compare. They under bloomed and the late freeze killed what little there was.

1 Like

Anyone know Brooks Gold plum please share here
I saw Lowes selling now . I would like to buy but lack of information.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Found this:

Brookgold Plum
Prunus salicina ‘Brookgold’

Fruit: -2.5 to 3 cm, round;
-matures in mid August;
-flesh is yellow, juicy, very sweet;
-free stone;
-skin is bright gold with orange blush;
-excellent for fresh eating;
-poor for canning and jam.

Pollination: Plant with other Asian plums such as Ivanovka, Ptitsin, or Fofonoff. There are probably other good pollinizers but they have not been adequately investigated.

Tree: Upright, moderately vigorous.

Hardy: To zone 2a.

Comments: Introduced by Alberta Horticulture Research Centre, Brooks, Alberta in 1979. A great early plum for out of hand eating

1 Like

Thank you so much for all information Charlie.

Golden Japan! Mine don’t have the red blush at all.

http://www.havlis.cz/karta_en.php?kytkaid=3303

2 Likes

Golden Nectar

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/golden-nectar-plum

1 Like

Autumn Gold is another one that I have that turns to golden yellow towards end of October but is already good eating at end of July when it is yellow green.

1 Like

That seems suspicious to me.

Is that not the same Brookgold right?

Not the same as Brookgold.

2 Likes

Also there’s a difference in spelling between the label and what @texancharlie has posted.

Brooks Gold vs Brookgold. So which is which?

On one hand, the Brookgold name is easier to find references for. On the other hand, the plum originated from Brooks, Alberta and thus the Brooks Gold would have been more appropriate name.

2 Likes

This reference about Brookgold plum says it is good for canning and hardy to zone 3.

http://m2.bylands.com/plant/brookgold-plum-prunus-salicina-brookgold

2 Likes

Do you have information that contradicts this-

“Japanese plums (sometimes called Asian plums) originated in China but were brought to this country via Japan in the 1800s. This non-native species (Prunus salicina) is not hardy in the northern temperate zone of the U.S. and Canada, except where meso-climate conditions moderate temperature extremes, most notably in the Great Lakes fruit-growing belt. As a rule of thumb, Japanese plum require about the same environment as peaches.”

2 Likes

Here is a link to Saskatchewan fruit tree seller’s plum list. http://www.littletreenursery.com/Plums/PlumbList.htm Several of these plums are hardy to zone 2 and are labelled as Salicina. Brookred was once labelled Japanese, but is now considered a hybrid. The same may be true for Brookgold.
Much has been written about how difficult Brookgold is to pollinate. This past summer I thought I had broken the Brookgold curse. I had 60 plums hanging. Alas, they ripened as a mottled red plum that was awful at all stages of ripeness. Funny, Bylands, who provided my tree is quoted above. It is my understanding that I am not the only one with awful red plums from a Bylands Brookgold plum. Vincent I would suggest in your zone there are a lot better choices than this one.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for suggestion .

I believe these hardy plums are SalicinaXAmerican hybrids. As is Toka and Superior.

2 Likes

I would tend to disagree, there are many Japanese plums which do well in climates where peaches don’t, like here in Vt. We have the hardiest peaches available, but only get peaches every few years, while our Japanese plums fruit almost every year. I believe what they mean by moderating temperatures is less about the low side, we get fruit even if the minimum temps are 20 below, but warmups followed by cold spells can reek havoc, especially in the spring. Some japanese plums can’t take the cold but many can.

Eric, you are in Z5. right on the cusp for both species- the question here is about Z3. Here in SE NY, Z 6, many J. plum varieties such as Santa Rosa, Satsuma and others frequently suffer terribly from cold related cambium damage- they are actually more tender than peaches. I seldom see any such damage on E Plums- maybe because they come out of dormancy later and into it sooner (at least stop active growth sooner).

I have to admit that a couple of J. plum varieties I got from you such as Reema seem particularly hardy. Last year a mid Feb sudden temp drop destroyed most of my highest quality J. plum fruit buds but Reema produced gobs of very good fruit- as productively as Shiro but so much tastier. Great yellow also cropped heavily, but fruit was almost as low sugar as Shiro. Hoping it gets up more sugar this years because ti does have an itnereststin bouquet.

Talk to Konrad, he has amazing plums and I think he is in zone 3. You have to go to garden web to talk to him.

1 Like

Not straight Salicina.