Yikes, here comes the cold

Xmas of 83, iirc, was -25 here

Coldest ever, They Say

1 Like

Yikes and double yikes…!! 19F to 74F to 6F in three days flat…!! You got to love Texas…!!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.222&lon=-101.8313

Why no peaches if -21F? I see why that would happen if the peach trees were in bloom. But -21 in December wouldn’t matter right?

That’s cold enough to kill all the flower buds on a fully dormant peach tree. This early the tree might not be fully dormant. So that raises the danger even higher. Furthermore it’s also cold enough to possibly kill or damage the entire tree.

Somewhere around -13 to -15F is where the flower buds start freezing under many conditions.

1 Like

We’re sitting at 7 F right now, but are supposed to drop again by Friday. Glad I don’t grow peaches!

Oh boy… I didn’t know that. Our real feel tomorrow night is -9! Way too cold for this time of year!! Yucks

-2 F here on Saturday which is fairly typical for this time of year. -20 F is about as cold as it gets here nowadays. It will be nice to have less pests and diseases next year.

Depends on hardware cost, local installation costs (local laws may require a certified installer), local electricity rates and hours of sun per year. Low local electricity rates would extend the payback time. Hours of sun varies greatly around the country. States may offer subsidies.
Actual example: A 5.5 kwh system installed 10 yrs in ago in NY cost $33,000 before rebates (tax payer and rate payer subsidies). In that location it averaged $1200 worth of produced electricity per year. That works out to a 27 yr payback. Double the amount of sun in a high electric rate area and the payback could be in the 10 to 15 year range. How old is the roof? It might be wise to install a new roof before the installation and that would add to the cost.

Tonite looks ugly…

–For tonight, the low temperatures will generally range from -5 to
-15. However, these temperatures may be even cooler in the
cranberry areas of central Wisconsin where temperatures could
potentially fall into the -15 to -20F range.–

Pattern looks to turn zonal after this weekend… milder air for the latter half of December…i so i hope.

1 Like

After the last deepfreeze year, I noticed a distinct reduction in the JB population

Neighbors did lose peach trees, but they were old and unhealthy and the neighbors just ignored them

I’m kind of wondering about the apple/plum trees that still have green leaves - they can’t be fully dormant

1 Like

I get worried when the temp hits -20 here in Zone 5A Maine…looks like we’ll hit around -5 with wind chills in the -20s. Looks like it will only last for a day or so then snow then another blast of cold but not quite so bad then a warm-up. I think that my peach trees will be OK although slightly worried about the ones planted last spring. I ordered some extras for next spring if a lose a few of them.

1 Like

Big warmup in the works for the NE the last week of the month.

https://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/semaine2_combinee_e.html

Sunday morning looks like a time to get out the running shoes and go jogging for about 10 miles

–With wind speeds of 10 to 15 mph
expected on Sunday morning, there looks to be a potential of very
dangerous wind chills of -35 to -40 in northeast Iowa and
southeast Minnesota. Wind chills this cold can cause frost bite in
less than 10 minutes.–

1 Like

I went running on the coldest day in the history of Amarillo. The high was below zero. I wanted to see how that went. After a mere 3 miles I decided it was, guess what, cold. I’ve seen near -35 wind chill in Texas. That was with a north wind at 40+ mph. I really felt sorry for the cattle grazing our wheat plots that day. They were hunched up and shivering like a leaf with no more protection than a barb wire fence.

1 Like

yeah…its brutal jogging with a wind…even in the teens it can be nasty. On the flip side i almost hate jogging in the heat more. I’d say between 15F and 40F with no wind is almost perfect for running.

The models are showing quite the turnaround after the storm tomorrow …next week the pattern change happens and the flow goes zonal. I wouldn’t be shocked if we had a string of 30F+ days and maybe a 40F by Xmas. I’m sure old man winter will be back with Russia drowning in Vodka cold ready to invade.

1 Like

-11 F right now, with light and variable winds. After this we’ll see a warming trend, but for now it’s a mite brisk …

:-)M

3 Likes

We are looking at the same thing for tonight. Saying -9 for the low then a quick warm up to 40s for highs next week and lows in the 20s. Its been a number of years since we have seen this cold of weather.

2 Likes

-27 forecasted low for tonight, windchills in the -40 or lower category. Cold tomorrow, then warming into the 20s next week. That’s gonna feel like spring

2 Likes

It was 50 degrees at midnight, the wind has turned out of the north now and it is forecast to be 3 F in the morning. I mulched leaves this morning and dumped them around the cover on the well. Not much worse than having your pressure switch freeze up and no water in the house. You can bet I will have the old wood stove cranked up tonight. I have some real nice red oak that should keep us toasty warm.

6 Likes

29f here last night. Some lily’s burned, banana singed, hibiscus unscathed. Palm trees no sign of damage yet. But tonight is promising a slightly colder.

I’m ready for spring!

I dont miss that weather at all lived in ND for 3 winters and that was plenty. I unfortunately remember a stretch where we never broke -20 for the high for several days. Takes a tough breed of people or maybe slightly insane to handle that weather! I guess at a point cold just becomes cold and another 10 degrees doesnt make much difference.

4 Likes