Your Favorite Pepper Varieties

I’m not sure? I made a mistake I was talking about Carmen (not Carmine) peppers, my bad! I probably misspelled it first. I’m really good at that! Sorry about that, Thanks for the correction!
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/peppers/carmen-organic-f1-pepper-seed-2993G.html?cgid=peppers#sz=72&start=1

Carmine hot are those yellows that look like Aji Lemon right?

Drew, thanks for the calcification. I planted Carmen pepper this year and was starting to wonder if I planted the right pepper. For some reason others have been referring to Carmen sweet pepper as Carmine also. Yes, Carmine is the very hot yellow one. Big difference.

LOL! I’m trying some white bell peppers this year. I want them to make a fish sauce. I have 2 or 3 white or cream colored bells to try, see what works best. I’m mostly growing hots though. I’m trying to find a couple more good ones, and I’ll have my winners. Soon I will only grow the winners, and not experiment so much.

I like that idea. I often make cold cucumber soup and it would look much nicer with white peppers than it does with green or red.

Hopefully they will cooperate! I’m trying (with marketing description)

Diamond White - 85 days. Capsicum annuum. Plant produces good yields of
beautiful translucent white sweet bell peppers. Peppers turn from
translucent white to pale yellow when mature. Excellent for salads.

I also have one called White Cloud, I meant to grow it, but the germination tray is full. It turns white then orange. Pale yellow when ripe will work for the sauce. Hope Diamond White works out. I would rather harvest when fully ripe.

Another vote for Carmen, a big red sweet pepper to slice onto appetizer platters etc.

I also like Yummy orange, a small, very sweet, almost candy-like pepper that kids love raw. They have hardly any seeds.

I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the mildly hot seasoning peppers like Tobago Seasoning, Zavory, etc. These are the same species as habanero and scotch bonnet, but not nearly as hot. They have amazingly unique aromatic flavors, fruity, floral, smoky, very different from other peppers.

I have grown the seasoning peppers. They do have a unique flavor, many peppers do.
I’m not that big a fan, but I would grow them again.

Needed some paprika to make some chili powder so I fetched out some that I had grown and dried and vacuumed sealed back in 2013 (or maybe I oven canned them, can’t remember). Anyway, was curious how they’d grind up for powder. They were amazing. Still had that smokey tang (I did not smoke them - just dehydrated them). This was my last in storage, so it looks like I need to grow them every 4 years. :blush:
Note to self; 1&1/4 quart dehydrated peppers grinds down to 1/2 pint powder.

At the bottom of the photo is what the dried pepper looked like. Looks like I sliced them length wise and removed seeds. It takes a long time to dehydrate that way so next time I’ll quarter them lengthwise.

6 Likes

I grow Habanero & Ghost peppers for my mother. I grow Thai Dragon for our family & our friend Mandy, as well as Jalapeno & some Cayenne. For Bells I like growing Reds, although next spring I’ll try growing some purple bells just for fun. These peppers all grow in my greenhouse & my daughter’s little greenhouse.

Anthony

3 Likes

Do you have a select variety for paprika?

1 Like

Hungarian Hot Wax Pepper

This is becoming my favorite. It is productive, ornamental and has just the right amount of heat for me.

2 Likes

I have also been growing Sezchuan hot peppers (produces pepper corns) for several years now

1 Like

There are likely whole websites devoted to this, the fine details of the differences I would not be able to discern. This is what I grew and it worked well.

4 Likes

Thankyou!!

1 Like

Never knew that thanks Drew!

1 Like

I grow alma (super mild) and leutschauer (medium) paprika. Love both of them! I’m also trying out feher ozon for the first time this year

2 Likes

lumbre is a very good new mexico pepper

1 Like

Yes, this is one I like a lot, all I use for paprika these days.

1 Like

Thanks to those that recommend Carmen. I don’t have a lot of sun, about 6 hrs, so bell peppers produce but I only get a few on each plant. Carmen produces so much I’m giving them away. Only negative is I don’t like them green. Red they are excellent.

1 Like

I myself think Carmen tastes fine, but miss the thick walls of bell peppers. I found some smaller peppers that have thick walls, and will experiment with them in the future. One I tried was Tennessee Cheese, and it produces fairly well. I like it. Small, but nice and thick, shaped like a tomato, easy to stuff.

1 Like