Yummy California Hachiya and Fuyu

These great tasting Kakis finally went on sale for .99 cents per lb at our local Asian Market. I bought 2 40 lbs boxes of the Fuyus for drying and about 20 lbs of Hachiyas to freeze for year round persimmons fix.

Tony

5 Likes

Tony,
Look good. I have not seen persimmon on sale here but Asian Stores here are small, unlike those in Boston Cnina Town. I hate driving in Boston.

1 Like

Mamuang,

If you can get some Hachiyas and wrap each one individually with a plastic wrap and freeze them. They will taste as good as the fresh one for 2 to 3 years after thawing them. I still got some in the freezer from 2 years ago. I am hoping for the Hybrids Casandra, JT-02, and Rossyanka to go into full production someday so I don’t rely on the store bought Kakis.

Tony

How old is your JT 02?

I ordered Hao River based on @strudeldog’s review. I don’t know if it is more cold tolerant than Nikita’s Gift or not. I just winter protect NG. It gets to be a chore.

I Winter protected the JT-02 the first year. It survived the -11F without Winter protection the second year. I will test it out again this year without any protection but so far looks like We are going to have a mild Winter again.

Tony

Now you really make me want to order that one, too :grin:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the hybrids also! Too bad mine are too small… I think I’m at least 3 years away from seeing fruit!

1 Like

know that feeling too well. Especially when was so much younger…
as a general rule, nobody wants to instantly grow older by three years.
but when waiting for my trees-- i often wished was three years older :grin:

Tony,

That’s a lots of persimmon to eat, even year round! And I’m sure I don’t have the space to keep that much… Happy eating, Tony…

Tom

1 Like

I also bought quite a lot of astringent and non astringent persimmons from Asian market. They both were on sale at the time. This is my fourth or fifth trip to the store specifically for the persimmons. It does not matter how much I buy they disappear in a week, everyone in my family loves them. I also hope to have my own at some point in the future.

1 Like

Hey Tony, is this true just for this variety or for any persimmon?

1 Like

Anne,

You can also freeze the Non-astringent Fuyus this way.

Tony

1 Like

I have 8 persimmon trees now, from my latest American Medler? (1’), 3 second leaf Jiro, 2 second leaf Fuyu grown from seed, 1 in ground Fuyu 7th leaf greenhouse tree and 1 in ground Fuyu 8th leaf outside tree. Home grown persimmons are awesome but if you have a short growing season they may not fully size up unless you have them growing in a greenhouse like I do for several of mine. In Metro Vancouver, my greenhouse protected persimmons get a 2 months head start and close to 2 months extra on the tree in the autumn/winter so my greenhouse fruit are at least double in size. If I don’t harvest my outdoors persimmons by Halloween then the hungry raccoons and rodents get them but I can allow the greenhouse persimmons to stay on the tree till past Christmas and we pick a couple a day from early October till New Years eve. Hopefully you’ll get to eat your own persimmons soon. Mine started fruiting at first or second leaf in general. Last year we harvested 120 from the oldest outside in ground tree and another 120 from my greenhouse trees so very happy with the quantity and quality. This year will be less due to harsh winter/spring conditions and higher than average fruit drop.

Anthony

2 Likes