2016 peach variety observations

Actually I was hoping to get some wood from you. lol

Ray,

Just say the word. I can get wood from my neighbor’s tree if that’s what you want (I prune it for them). I owe you for the scionwood you sent last winter. I now have several new seedlings budded to that wood…

That said, I’d almost hate to send you that wood. Redskin ripens about the same time as Elberta, is an offspring, and produces much bigger fruit. But I will send you any non-patented wood you request.

1 Like

Mark,
That sounds like a winner. I’ve always wanted to grow that peach,
mainly because I’m a big Redskins fan.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. Email me when you’d like the wood. I like Redskin enough I’ve seriously contemplated taking out some of the more frost sensitive PF varieties of that window and replacing them w/ Redskin.

You mention K1 with Harrow D …is this the first peach you’ve had on that rootstock or non peach roots?

Was Sweet Bagel your latest peach? I enjoyed it, but mine were ugly and they were cracked some right at the top…plus they had spot. My kids ate a few and loved them. Almost all of my peaches had spot this year. Very bad year for it. 20 inches of rain in just 3 months doesn’t help.

Mostly. I had a peach on K86 but it died. My one Harrow Diamond on K1 isn’t very vigorous, which kind of worries me, but it’s nice so far not to have to prune much, and it obviously produces superior fruit. Generally though, in my climate a vigorous tree is a healthier tree. We generally don’t have to worry too much about tree kill in the winter.

I’ve had a peach on Citation which wasn’t as vigorous and more drought susc. All in all, I think I’d rather have regular peach roots here. They are predictable to me, and thus easier to manage.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the New Zealand peach Autumn Rose?

That sounds just like what Sweet Bagel did for me. It is a very concentrated peach flavor, I never measured the brix but am sure it is very high. It was not much after O’Henry in my orchard, and before Indian Free. The rot was so bad I had to give up on it.

It is my last peach. I have a few left on the one tree still. Your experience mirrors mine. Very ugly, cracked and some rot. Good tasting peach though. As Scott mentions, the brix must be high.

Congratulations on your collection of peaches Olpea, I know most of them, I do love big and sweet peaches, have many varieties, probably if I make a relationship, you do not know them, as only lets me upload a photo, I thought show you my favorite.

a greeting

1 Like

So what’s it called?

1 Like

Alan, peach is a family variety, we will retain more than 130 years ago. I have baptized with the name of “Castañar”. I would have uploaded more pictures, but the forum rules prevent this, now I try to upload another photo of another variety to see if I can get it, his name is “Yuste”

Great, the system has left me, then I’ll upload another variety, “Extreme 486”

1 Like

Anyone growing blackboy peach?

1 Like

Finally’ll upload another variety, called “Frets White”, I do not want to upload more photos to not block the post

1 Like

Thought someone might be interested in what Sweet Bagel looks like in my climate. These were the last few fruit I picked today. The tree does produce a few clean fruit, but the photo is fairly typical of what it looks like. Again the flavor is very sweet, somewhat lower in acid than other peaches, but still very good. Just produces some extremely ugly fruit here. Plus it’s not been very productive.

2 Likes

too bad i wanted to give sweet bagels a try since they look so darn cute. But the disease would drive me nuts. Oh well i’ll stick to my saturn and donut peach.

1 Like