2018 Grafting Thread

Just got some free time this evening and topworked one of my 8 years old Nikita’s Gift to Rossyanka Hybrid persimmon. Rossyanka can handle the cold to -20F with very little die back.

Tony

5 Likes

Dan
How many days did it take to see buds starting on the pictured jiro graft?

It took about 45 days before it began growing. Same with a Chocolate Persimmon graft on the same tree.

1 Like

Probably the last graft I’ll do - my neighbor’s Sweet 16 to my Frankenfuji

3 Likes

Some of my scions dried out already, so I think I’ll follow your excellent example next time and wrap the blessed things all around with a single layer of Parafilm. Can’t hurt!

Very pleased to find Rosemary Russet and Shavel Sharp (cider apple from state of Maine) have taken! (Will take a photo one of these days soon.)

How’s the three flaps coming Jerry? And Bark’s? You have the Midas Touch now? See how strong those three and four flaps stand after wrapping them?

Dax

1 Like

Grafted a bunch of fig seedling scion that was collected in Oct 2016, almost all of them look like they have a good chance. Only used parafilm on about half and didn’t notice any advantage over rubbers so far. They were stored in a ldpe bread bag, tied, and wrapped in a hdpe grocery bag, a few had begun to mold but luckily not the ones I wanted, soaked for 36 hours prior to grafting.

4 Likes

All the ones on the left that are growing vigorously are chip buds. Man do chip buds work for persimmons.

Kanza pecan field graft. This and the next photos are field grafts in my landscape and are just breaking the tape. Dax

(2) Hark pecan scions (bark graft.)

(2) Mullahy pecan scions bark-grafted:

18 Likes

@JamesWNY

The Rosseyanka graft has also taken to my Coffeecake persimmon.

6 Likes

My latest persimmon: Giombo

That makes 7/10 persimmons to break bud and grow. However one was killed by psyllids in infancy. A couple more have been damaged a bit but will pull through and the others are going through daily inspections and preventative measures. Here are all 6 together: 4 Tam Kams, 1 Tecumseh, and 1 Giombo.

Katy

PS I don’t need 4 Tam Kams. :joy::joy::joy:

12 Likes

Insurance back up!

Tony

3 Likes

@k8tpayaso Nice job!

Dax

2 Likes

I had really good advice from others here! :wink: @Barkslip

3 Likes

Bout 10 days ago this unknown roostock (box store purchase before i knew anything) lolipop crabapple was at pink status, i grafted it to freybury, looks like another success. :laughing:

1 Like

Other than kitchen table grafts, I don’t have any far enough along to make good photos…up in the great white north and all.
I did some chestnuts May 16th, and bagged them 'cause frost is certain that early here. I hoped the bags would protect them against light frosts.
For some reason, I forgot to tape a bird perch alongside one…and chickadees are heavier than they look :frowning:
The other two have started, just 12 days yet, but I’ll take a photo when they are more noticeable.

I did 8 more yesterday, two different trees, and repeated one scion lot on two seedlings in the house for gifts to the folks who gave me seednuts this spring.
I’m trying to get the MR to take up grafting, not sure he will…but you don’t have to be good at it to start, just too stubborn to quit. grin

2 Likes

Some pics of the three bench grafts, done in the first of March, potted up about 6 weeks ago. Looks like they’re doing well.

Goldrush/M7, about 17" long now. Has a droopy leaf on it, don’t know why. Other leaves look OK, maybe it’s a bit dry, so I watered it and the others this morning.

Snapp Stayman/M7, about 8" now

Suncrisp/M7, about 6", hasn’t put on a lot of growth. Maybe need to prune off one of the sprouts?

2 Likes

The old tree is a success so far…

5 Likes

All your grafting looks perfectly executed. I’m not surprised that your getting great results. Psyllids showed up on my newly emerging persimmon grafts recently and almost destroyed them. I was thinking that they were the typical aphids that easily wash off. I finally cleaned them and covered with my screen covers. They are making a slow comeback now.

3 Likes

OK, couldn’t resist, grin

12 days old, chestnut

3 Likes

I have been spraying anything that moves with insecticidal soap. An article I read said it would work and maybe it has. I haven’t seen anymore. One of the grafts has a resident spider that ducks and retreats when she sees me coming. She may have something to do with it!!

Katy

4 Likes