2018 Grafting Thread

Wishing you luck but I think you are fighting a loosing battle there. Don’t be surprised to see what looks like an early take followed by a slow decline. Most plums play well together but cherries are a completely different beast.

I’m doing a similar experiment with an Adara plum scion. Grafted it to the top of an old bitter almond. The graft has taken and the scion is leafing out now. If it survives the into the summer I may chip bud some sweet cherries onto the Adara.

Long term graft compatibility is somewhat doubtful but its a fun experiment.

Did the white gold not taste good?

This was last years. Wanted to show you how I placed them. Also, North Side and not South side as I said earlier. Sorry. There are trees here from the prior year as well that I had put the pots in the ground to keep from freezing during the winter. I have several pots in the ground this year that will come out and I will either plant them this spring or find a new home for them… or will plant in fall… just depends on how they do and how other trees in the orchard do. I’m thinking of thinning a few out that I have two many of the same or just aren’t producing well… OR… are hard to keep scab off of…

11 Likes

Yes, I am concerned that it may not last. But worth a try!

Compared with store bought cherries, these are pretty blah! All my home grown fruit is MUCH tastier than anything I can buy. Except for cherries. So I plan to get rid of them.

1 Like

Lapins is a good cherry that does nicely here in the PNW. I do have to net it though as I have competition from the birds.

1 Like

Yes I have Lapins too. It is good but not better than the Rainier or Bing that grows East of the cascades. I might get rid of this tree also.

I agree growing sweet cherries right is difficult.

1 Like

Totally agree. Of all the many varieties of fruit I grow, my backyard sweet cherries are the only fruit that do not measure up to store-bought ones, not even close.

You make a good point. For me my one multi grafted cherry tree is a novelty that doesn’t get much attention since store bought cherries are so good.

Since it’s going to be about 28 tonight and 25 tomorrow night, I brought the potted apples in. I put them in the hall under the light bank to give them some light for a couple days. I usually have veggie seedlings under it, but will be starting those in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Bark grafting pear, this years video :smiley:.

2 Likes

About 336 completed grafts, another 250-300 to go.

12 Likes

Over Achiever :grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

Here’s something on a much smaller scale. Grafted few peach scions on my seedlings.

6 Likes

It is warmer enough in your area to graft peach ?

We are having an unusual warm spell. 79 right now. 81 tomorrow and then below normal after that.

… or glutton for punishment…

1 Like

Nice dude!

Dax