2018 Grafting Thread

…except for a few leaves worth of Geneva 30 on a lower branch or two, until the scion has gotten a good start. Then trim away the competing growth. Much better mileage that way - for that particular root stock.

Why is that? Is it because it could cause damping off? I can’t really prevent the steam, with a warming pad underneath warm, moist soil. When they start sprouting, I’ll take the lid off.

Good job on all the grafts, awesome % of takes. Just where are they all going?

Are you sure you referred to my post? If so, Which one, please?

Yep, dampening off/rot. I just didn’t want anything poking thru to be ruined for you.

I’ll temporarily put them in-ground for sale for next spring.

Thanks,

Dax

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m pretty stoked to see my first ever grafts take. I need to keep them outside more, but don’t want them out there when we’re getting heavy rains. After the rain leaves tomorrow, back out they go. I did notice when they were out in the sun, they’d droop a bit. It’s not because they were dry, because the soil is damp. They do perk up under the lights, so I guess the sun’s a bit harsh for them now, but I’m giving them sun gradually until they get used to it.

6 Likes

It is growing strong on a root sucker on my old tree. I will have more scion next year if you need it. Hope you have good luck.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m about two weeks from grafting. I’m glad to hear the little yellow pear is working for you; I’m sticking that one on this year, as well as some others. This time of year is exciting!

2 Likes

Precisely the same way Paul.

Thanks! Having too much fun :slight_smile:

Dax

I had 2 sticks each of 25 different apple varieties. I used 1 stick of each for 3 bench grafts, 2 of each on B118, and 1 of each on M111. Stuck them in a couple totes of moist pine shavings to heal, then 25 will go in forever homes while the other 50 go in a couple of raised beds for possible future sale.

Very anxious to see how this goes. Will use the other 25 sticks to make a Frankentree with this crab(pic from last fall).

5 Likes

Liberty graft on my Joy apple. This was one of the first grafts I did with my new grafting tool may 5 or 6 weeks ago…you can see it was a pretty small stick, but it looks to be doing really well.

7 Likes

About 11 days ago you mentioned the need to rub off emerging leaves from root stock after a successful graft. And I concur! The one exception I know of - and this is only because I use that stock regularly - is Geneva 30. It is important to limit its growth to a few inches worth of leaves until the scion has gotten off to a good start.

1 Like

Why, what happens to G30 if you rub off the leaves? Does it have a greater chance of dying?

That is my understanding. I have read it in at least two sources, and find in my own experience, that leaving a few leaves to feed the scion for the first month or so improves the scion’s growth. Once the Gen30 stock is shorn of leaves, it does not push new.

King David graft on my unknown apple tree from about 5 weeks ago.ugly graft but it worked…

7 Likes

Looks solid!

I’ve not had any tree on G30. It’s good to know. Thanks.

1 Like

definitely appears to be solid I was probably a bit premature in pulling on the tape and some of the callous came off with it, but I think it should be ok…

sweet 16 graft to my unknown apple tree. This one really took off and in only 5 or 6 weeks old.

Red Fuji graft from last year on the Dorsett. Look at that ugly graft…I didn’t think this one was going to make it but there are finally signs of life.

1 Like

Hi all!

Just a quick questions for the veterans of grafting. Yesterday, one of my scions (Sweet 16) had nice and swollen green buds. Fortunatly, I also had a crabapple (Prairie Fire) in my yard that was starting to break bud too.
I tried to graft the least swollen buds, but since I’m just starting and my knife skills are nothing to write home about, the best graft in my opinion is a cleft graft that used the most green buds. I also t-budded some buds but the bark might have been more cooperative with a couple more days under the rain.

So my question is, should I tent the graft to make sure it dosen’t dry out? Here’s the forecast of the next week:

I sadly don’t have any pictures since I was in a rush yesterday and it was starting to get real dark outside, and since now they’re wrapped nice and tight it might be hard to judge the graft.

Thanks a lot!

I finished grafting pears yesterday, our weather has been on the cold side so I grafted pears on three different dates. The earlier grafts have been very slow to take but are showing sings of bud swell now. I also grafted a seedling apple on Emla 7 just for fun yesterday

3 Likes