2018 Grafting Thread

Harvest queen on a little multigraft tree

5 Likes

Oscar mulberry on alba rootstock

Pakistan mulb on alba rootstock

Maybe premature but my fingers are crossed:

Tecumseh persimmon on D virginiana

Li jujube on jujuba rootstock

Orange Beauty jujube on Honey Jar seedling (Thanks @castanea via @jujubemulberry)

R4T3 jujube on Lang

I’ve have a few more that are looking good but I have felt the agony of defeat a lot this year… :persevere:

Katy

15 Likes

Update of grafted Flavor King on Mexican Plum rootstock. Coming along very nicely.

8 Likes

For the next two nights (Sunday morning and Monday morning) the low temp is predicted to be in tbhe mid 30s. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings look to be in the mid 40s.

Day time highs are predicted to be: Sat: 70, Sun: 54, Mon: 65, Tues 77, Wed: 81, Thur 84, Fri 80

My question is, is it too cool to graft this weekend or should I wait until next weekend? I’m confused and paranoid about low temperatures!

That’s good grafting weather.

Dax

3 Likes

Time to do some peach grafting I think.

8 Likes

Thanks Dax!!

:+1:

I did about 50 apple grafts on 118, 111 and Antonovka - and they look like they are doing pretty well! A few were a little higher on the rootstock than I would have liked, but the scions and my rootstock didn’t always play nicely sizewise. Can I just plant those lower in the ground to lower the graft union? I’m excited that they appear to be doing so well for my first try! I only see a couple that look like they possibly didn’t take (and they were mostly Macoun so I think it could have been the scion). Thanks to everyone here that helped me succeed :slight_smile:

I saw my pear and plum rootstock shipped Friday from Raintree, so I will have some more to play with soon! I’m having fun with this. I wish I had gotten brave sooner!

Hi Amy. I don’t know whether it’s me or Macoun but I have grafted Macoun several times to my frankentree and it never does well- it takes, but languishes. It may be that it’s fussy about rootstocks; I don’t know.

I can be a pretty poor grafter, but sometimes it’s not us- sometimes it is something else.

2 Likes

I tried it on 118 & 111 and neither look viable at this point, but maybe I’ll be surprised. I wrote down that I did an Antonovka too, but I can’t find it at the moment. I’m sure it’s mixed in there somewhere!

so promising! Especially the li budwood with strong upright growth :muscle:
and thanks for acknowledging @castanea re: orange beauty since it is castanea’s

2 Likes

Cut back an apple tree that was probably 4 years old at the most and grafted Goldrush, Pixie Crunch, and Hoople to it. The tree never did even flower one single bloom. Will post some pics soon. Finally getting some nice weather to graft to existing trees.

2 Likes

Went for a walk around the trees and it looks like I have 100% take on pear grafts and 100% on cherry. Too early to be sure but everything is showing green growth.
Peach and plum on the other hand are at less than 50% so far. I’m expecting it to change within the next week or two. If no growth starts by mid May, I’ll cut them out and graft again.

4 Likes

Grafted Nadia @Vincent_8B , Dripping Honey @Sophia2017 , Sweet Harrow, and numerous different PawPaws @Hillbillyhort tonight. Holding off on peaches and plums for another week or so. Looking for some constant warm temps.

5 Likes

I grafted TS hardy on march 17th, it took forever to wake up but finally it is showing signs of growth. It is supposed to be a vigorous pear and I have it on a large rootstock of some type of ornamental pear that is very fast growing. This may grow into quite a large tree eventually.

9 Likes

Went to the BYFG grafting workshop for my yearly supply of scion. The Pink Pearl Apple I grafted there is sprouting nicely. I let somebody else graft me an Asian pear to see their method. That failed, so I regrafted it with another scion and it looks like that once’s taking.

More importantly, I gave some friends a grafting lesson (their kids got home-school credit for attending!) I just got word that the graft is sprouting, so in a few years they’ll have an apple tree and the knowledge to expand on it.

8 Likes

All the crazy people with the tin-foil hats:

Allegheny and Shenandoah pawpaws on stock I planted from seed

Illinois Everbearing and Oscar mulberries on a volunteer seedling

Saijo and Rosseyanka persimmons grafted on top of Coffeecake… on top of Diaspyros lotus

Diaspyros virginiana “Early Golden” on top of Chocolate kaki persimmon… on top of D. lotus

7 Likes

When you have two buds that grow like this on a rootstock do you prune off one of the shoots? If so when?

Katy

1 Like

I always hate to cut off anything that nice looking, but you’ll be better off removing one, and that would be the lower one unless I’m missing something. Probably best to do it sooner rather than later- and then be real careful to not knock off the remaining one!

Nice work.

5 Likes