2020 pick of the day

Your persimmon and apple looks great!
It must be a very stressful and disappointing thing to see almost all your persimmons and apples burned and damaged by heatwave from wild fires. Not fruits alone, you property and family’s safety were all in danger of fires. I feel sorry for you and what happened in California this summer

2 Likes

Thank you for your concern. We hope the wind dies down this afternoon, and that will help with the fires. The fire is actually not as scary as an earthquake, because the latter one comes suddenly and violently.
My parents went through worse, and my mother always said “as long as the people are safe, everything will be fine”. In the worst case, we don’t really need that many fruit trees for the three of us. :wink:

2 Likes

My harvest today :blush:

15 Likes

Dig of the day Stachys affinis

9 Likes

All evacuation orders near our place have been lifted as of 5pm. Tomorrow will be cleaning and unpacking day. The yard is full of leaves, fine dust and ashes. :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds a lot of work is waiting for you, but it is good to be able to be back home without worrying about the fire

2 Likes

Fuji apples, from in ground tree. This year the fruits are very good, thin skinned, juicy, light, not very sweet, completely different from the dense, thick skinned and sugary ones we had over the last twenty years. We added many new varieties around so that may account for the changes.

Fuji apples, guava and unknown asian pear.

All the trees in containers would be lucky to have tiny apples after the many heat waves. They were supprisingly nice so we ate them all.

Sundowner apples

Hachya persimmons

The few unknown persimmons in the front yard are very big this year.The pictures compare them with the Hachiya this year and last year.

Unknown persimmons vs Hachiya 2020, they are the big ones.

Unknown persimmons vs Hachiya 2019, they were the tiny ones

I dropped one unknown and it broke at the end. It was unripe so I put it in the freezer for a day. There was only very little astringent at the stem, the rest was fine but not very sweet.

Last, not from my yard but from a public place, wild green sapote. They dropped on the ground and we picked the ones that were not bad. The bruise part removed ,they are very sweet and supposed to help with sleeping.

10 Likes

Ronde de Bordeaux, fig doesn’t have any leaves but is still ripening fruit. Surprisingly it still tastes sweet. Not the best, but I will take it!

8 Likes

It has been a while since I have posted! Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and you are staying well!

W. Murcott
This is the only fruit I let grow on the tree. It fell off of the branch onto my hand when I was hosing down the tree for spider mites! The peel was just starting to turn and the small fruit was turning soft. Boy, it was good! The fruit had a sprightly flavor with the right amount of juice and sweetness! Last year the single fruit that I left on the tree was dry and tasteless! I have high hopes for this tree.

2 Likes

Well, It has been a while since I posted. Did the usual link to post pictures change?

1 Like

@barefootgardener

Thank you. I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

The link for posting picture still works for me.

I got this one just now.

Citrus fruits get better when the tree matures. Last year this unknown mandarin was less than half the size and not so good. This year a lot of them got the heat wave burn, but grew and taste very good.

5 Likes

Hi! It’s what variety? Enjoy! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t know the variety. Before I know better about citrus, everything I bought was a kind of satsuma I guess.

1 Like

It seems a tangerine/mandarine… satsuma should be more regular and plain i gess.
Thank’s!

1 Like

The skin of the regular Satsuma will be smooth. This one has bumpy skin. Last year was the first time the tree fruited. I thought somehow it got the bumpy skin from the nearby Gold Nugget Mandarin. However, the Gold Nugget has no fruit this year, that is one of the reasons we plant so many to make sure we have some citrus fruits each year, but the bumpy skin stays.

3 Likes

Guavas

Figs

8 Likes

W. Murcott
I got it figured out! :hugs:

4 Likes

So lovely!

1 Like

Honey Jar Jujube
Picked the first ones early September when they just started turning brown. They were sweet and crisp like a small apple. Yummy! I tried a few more when the fruit had matured to a deeper brown and a bit softer but found the skin a bit hard to chew. The rest were left on the tree to dry and wrinkle up like a prune and they were very tasty.

6 Likes

Thank you. Your W. Murcott looked very nice. It will get sweeter next year if stays on the tree until the skin color turns all yellow. I found out to have juicy fruits, the tree needs a lot of water when the fruits start gaining in size.
You have so many Honey Jar jujubes. :blush:
My trees flowered but didn’t set fruit at all this year, and I have no idea why not. There will always be next year. :wink:

1 Like