2020 pick of the day

Thank you. I just may let a few more citrus fruits hang on the tree for next season. The tree is still young and I want it to grow and branch out more hence the reason I pulled most all of the fruit for the last few years.
I hope your jujube sets fruit for you this year. :grinning: The first season that I had my Honey Jar it flowered and set fruit, but the tree aborted the fruit while still small. We shall see what this season brings, every season brings surprises! :smiley:

1 Like

Guavas still coming, I still have a few left on the tree! We been getting quite a few the last few days. Here are some that we have picked and the ones from today.

15 Likes

While pruning in my employer’s orchard we found this beautiful Iduna apples still on the tree…

I picked about 10 kg and they are sooooo good.

16 Likes

Beautiful shape.

2 Likes

After I fixed the hardware cloth about two weeks ago, there was no animals in the back yard, even though I still see a squirrel running across the street. We can pick only what fruits we want everyday and leave the rest.to ripen more.

Navel orange, Fuji apple, Kishu, the small ones, and unknown mandarin

Sundowner apple from a new tree, red but still unripe, Suebelle white sapote, Prime Ark Freedom blackberry, and Grape tomato

After all the heat waves were over in late September, all the fruit trees flowered like crazy. There are so many asian pears, still small, but look so nice. I really don’t know if they can mature later, it never happened before.

13 Likes

@anon18642480 - gorgeous pics!

How old are your Navel Orange & Kishu trees and how sweet are the fruits? My Kishu and Navel oranges look very ripe but very acidic and not sweet :thinking:

On the other hand my Fujis and PAF have been so sweet & delicious!

1 Like

Thank you. The orange tree is over thirty year old, while the kishu are from three to five years. The fruits need sun light to get sweet. I wouldn’t pick them after the rain or a few cloudy days. The Navel oranges are always sweet. The fruits from the three Kishu trees are unpredictable on size and sweetness, depends on what other citrus trees were blooming at the same time. One thing to watch out for the Kishu is they don’t fall off the tree when overripe like oranges, but the inside under the stem will get moldy, so I use the scissors to pick them when they start getting squishy to the touch. Also, in my experience, they will get sweeter on the counter after a few weeks, especially the oranges.
I love the Fuji and PAF, and the fact that they still have fruits after the brutally hot summer this year.:wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @anon18642480 Did your Navel Oranges always produce sweet fruit? Where are you located? I am in San Jose CA. My Navel tree gets full sun and is 5 years old. Every year I hope the fruits get sweeter but they don’t :sob:

1 Like

My place is about 30 miles east of Los Angeles. If the oranges are not very sweet when we pick, they will be sweeter after few days on the counter. Even when we had to pick the whole tree because of the rats at the beginning of this years, they turned sweet after a month or so. The more deep orange color, the sweeter they will be. The same with my sister’s tree. We didn’t feed the tree anything, no fertilizer, so the fruits are small.
I have relatives in San Jose so I know there are so many cloudy days in the fall and winter. That may be one of the reasons.

1 Like

The guava is beautiful! I haven’t seen a fresh one cut open before. Wow! Gorgeous color. A friend of mine, who is originally from the South, introduced me to Guava paste… we use it mainly in baking. It’s an awesome addition to Georgia pound cake. Do you enjoy eating guava fresh as you would an apple?

3 Likes

Thank you @KSprairie, I was so excited myself since this is my first year getting fruits from my guava tree. And as well I was on shock after cutting open the guava. First because I tough that it was the Mexican Cream guava that I have, that means that when I cut it open I was expecting to see a yellowish cream color inside instead of pink! So at the moment I was I bit disappointed because it’s not the variety that I thought I had and because I been wanting to have the MC variety for so long.
But after tasting the guava and experimenting the awesome flavors lingering in my mouth and the smell of fresh guava is really good. Just by having the guava on the countertop you can perceive the smell that guavas spread, really good aroma!

I have always eating fresh guavas just like eating apples. I have eating guava candy as well, this one it’s more like a paste or jelly. We also like to make fresh water with guavas ( it’s delicious :yum:)

3 Likes

Ruben, thanks so much for your reply. It sounds delicious!!! I may try find some fresh guava at the stores when it is in season. Congrats!!!

2 Likes

Right now you should be able to find some still. I would suggest to check on different types of stores.

2 Likes

Rainy day in Bay Area but a walk in garden with fresh air and fresh guava is priceless

Vietnamese Giant White - productive, crunchy, mild … refreshing

12 Likes

Nice! What does the inside looks like on them?

1 Like

Snow white.

5 Likes

I am in Hollister, just south of you but cooler because of ocean breeze. I have a Navel Orange planted by a previous owner more than 25 years ago. I presume it is a Lane Late Navel as it doesn’t even start getting sweet until May, then gets progressively sweeter during the summer. We harvest the last fruits in October-November, still great, but getting a bit dry in November. This is different from most navels that are winter ripening.

We also have what appears to be an Oro Blanco grapefruit, also quite sweet (when ripe), also planted by the previous owner. We were initially calling it a Pumelo because of its thick skin and some of the fruits were pear shaped. Oro Blanco is in fact a grapefruit-pummelo cross. I had never liked grapefruit before, but I find this one quite pleasant. Some people peel and section them like an orange, but we prefer to juice ours.

6 Likes

Partial citrus collection, could use a table for the rest.

15 Likes

Thanks @RandallW - I’ll leave some of the fruit on my tree for a few more months and see if it gets sweeter.

1 Like

December Watermelon …
We still have few that grow beside a block wall facing south. It is not August wm but good eating. Mild sweet, crispy and refreshing. Most sugar probably was developed in October “Indian Summer” and we just leave it there to stay fresh as long it has green leaves. Got the idea from a lady from Castro Valley who had watermelon all over yard in November 2019 so we took it a month or two ahead.

8 Likes