2022 Hot Peppers

I picked all my White Thai and had no unripe ones left. But I have plenty of Acratà (I have way too many for personal, family and neighborhood consumption). The thing is still pumping out peppers. As you can see, the unripe ones are black.

3 Likes

Anybody here make Pepper Butter aka…Mustard Salsa aka Mustard Butter?

I think its amazing…but addictive.

“A spread that is as thick as custard, sweet as jam, and packed with a ton of flavor with a slight kick of heat.”

2 Likes

Looks lovely.

My wife and I made our first batch of fermented sauces earlier this year. They just finished a couple weeks ago and the second batch has been fermenting for a little over a week now. We did 3 qt jars before and the second batch is 3 qt as well. Lots of fun to make and give as gifts.

I have a lot of varieties and mostly sort into the fermenting jars by color and somewhat by heat. I’ve found I sometimes like to blend them after processing them if one winds up too hot or one is too mild. Mine is just 3 cloves of garlic per jar and then the rest is peppers, plus the brine of course. When they’re done fermenting (we only go about a month), We pour off most of the remaining brine, blend it smooth in the Vitamix, then add in a little bit of cider vinegar. I like the idea of adding some rice wine vinegar and might try that next year with one batch.

From the first three quarts of fermented peppers we wound up with 3 5oz bottles of yellow sauce (sugar rush peach, aji pineapple, sugar rush peach striped, lemon spice jalapeno and yellow Fatalli) and 6 bottles of red (lots of aji colorado, and then some red jalapenos, Rogers giant habanero and then some red elephant ear peppers to moderate the heat and add more sweetness). Both were great. The red we called Colorado Red and it is moderately hot with a very nice fermented “funk” and the yellow we called Fatale Peach and it is probably the best sauce I’ve made yet. It has a little sweetness and fruitiness from the SRP, SRP striped and Aji pineapple, and a strong clean heat from the Fatalli. While it is quite hot, we used a lot of the SRP and SRP striped peppers in the mix so I’m still able to use enough to get the taste of the sauce in the food. I made some sauce last year with mostly Chocolate Ghost peppers and it is just ridiculously hot to the point that a single drop is about all I can put on the plate.

I’ve become a big fan of the Fatalli peppers, which are about about as hot as I’d like to use in sauces while still having a great taste. I really like KS Lemon Starbursts, Scotch Bonnets and Bahamian Goat peppers as well for heat and flavor, but Fatalli peppers are easier to use and the plant is super vigorous and productive.

5 Likes

@zendog Fantastic work on the colors! I’ve been trying 3-4 new varieties every year, while keeping my core varieties. My vegetable garden is limited to 1,000 sq ft and I’m obsessively concerned with cross-pollination with hots to hots, sweets to hots and viceversa. For this reason I have to limit myself to 6-7 varieties. This year I went overboard with 10 varieties. Cutting down to 7 next year. I’m afraid KSLS (too hot for me), Malagueta and maybe Brazilian Starfish or Sugar Rush Striped (too late ripening for me) will be cut from the roster.

1 Like