2023 Grafting Thread

It’s seems like it is for moisture retention. Here’s an example from Ukraine. You can skip to the 4:30 mark to see it. He uses moist wood shavings. I’ve seen others use sand.

I also will be attempting to graft walnuts this spring/summer. I’m thinking of trying it.

3 Likes

I’d like to know what he’s explaining.Maybe @Stan understands the language or enough, to interpret?

This is a standard chip bud. To keep the bud wet, he fills a plastic bag with wet sawdust. The bottom of the bag is tied up a bit loosely, so rain water can drip down. If there’s no rain, he waters the sawdust to keep it wet.

5 Likes

Cevizde Kalem Aşı Uygulaması - How to Bark Grafting Technique on Walnut Tree. - YouTube I hope this works to share.

At about 6;45 he uses rooting hormone. How to graft in Walnut🌰🌳 tree latest technique. - YouTube

Gold Rush seems to be a vigorous grower on my Seedling Rootstock. Day 25

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/ This guy

This guy bench grafts walnut.

On 2/16: I Grafted 12 Spring Satin scions on potted trees in greenhouse and on 2/23 I grafted SM Plumcots on potted trees in the greenhouse. Temperatures ranged from 33f to 85f over the following weeks.
Spring satin

SM Plumcot

5 Likes

Any more information about what these are?

Hi Brady
I got scions from Robert @ SoMtHomestead, who said his tree was mislabeled from Lowe’s, so he just gave it that name!
Maybe once it fruits I can say more about it! I don’t have a Plumcot so it will be an interesting one to try here
Take care
Dennis

1 Like

Not bad for first time grafting, I think I’m allowed to brag a little, lol.

Yali pear

9 Likes

Anybody recommend putting down any fert on a young grafted apple tree?

Today I redid 2 Jujube grafts, one for Ga-866 and one for Black Sea. I think after seeing Massandra jujube leafing out, I suspect the rest of scions I grafted in early Feb didn’t take, but they are not dead either. When the weather get better I will redo some more. It took me a while to decide. When do people think the grafts didn’t take and time to redo them.

We just came thru a cold spell but next 10 days much warmer. I figure the cold spell may have slowed down the grafts i have done so far (pear, goumi, plum). Got a few pics this morning of progress.

Orient pear whip toung to callery.

Carmine goumi WT and Mod Cleft to sweet scarlet and red gem.

Keiffer pear mod cleft to callery.

Imp keiffer bark graft to callery

AU producer plum whip to AU rosa.

We are supposed to get near 80 next two days and 70s after that.

I grafted 5 Montmorency cherry onto my lapins cherry yesterday. A mix of whip toung and mod cleft.

6 Likes

Here’s an update with the mulberries about month later . Most of the root-grafts are showing good growth.

27 Likes

BNR fig is pushing through the parafim, how exciting!

8 Likes

Very nice. I should be out digging up some roots.

2 Likes

I redid all the Jujube grafts today. Out of the 8 that I did back in Feb, only one took. But what’s amazing, it’s a splice graft.

Here is one of my Montmorency cherry grafts. It’s been about a month and I have been wondering when the parafilm should come off. Today I unwrapped the parafilm to see how the callous was doing, for some reason it was green, is this normal? Also before rewrapping I noticed that this green had turned into brown probably due to oxidation, does this impact the grafts success? .

1 Like

Kind of the opposite of top work. Is bottom work a thing? Basically,I had gave away scions to 3 different people of my Salish summer peach. I foolishly cut most of those from the bottom limbs. That, and a little dead limbs from winter snow/frost, and all of a sudden the tree is all trunk and no branches.

Wanted to add some lower scaffolding without topping. We shall see. Wish me luck.

1 Like